Redmire's Real Monster - The King

This forum is for discussing carp.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Redmire's Real Monster - The King

Post by Dave Burr »

Myths and monsters - don't you just love it :Happy:

I hate those venues where every local will tell you how big the fish are and what it weighed last week. The places where when a big fish comes out half the anglers pack up and move to the next circus venue as their 'target' fish won't be caught again for a few weeks. Every water needs a monster or at the very least a strong rumour.

Fish are extremely adept at avoiding capture and its not always the big ones either. Anglers are often blinded by their own ego's when they think they can catch any fish, I've seen fish that have been all but impossible.

Long live the King.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

It would be awesome (sorry for that word, but it kind of suits in this case) if one of the TFF folk caught the big common, SK, Barbulus or any of the people here who love Redmire. And it certainly would rock the angling world! The Redmire King landed with a cane rod, just imagine the headlines. Wow - I think I'd even buy a fishing magazine that week!
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

"Wow - I think I'd even buy a fishing magazine that week!" Steady on now Greg, that's a pretty bold statement :Chuckle:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Dave Burr wrote:"Wow - I think I'd even buy a fishing magazine that week!" Steady on now Greg, that's a pretty bold statement :Chuckle:
lol Dave :Happy:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's a better story in the long term if the big common(s) don't ever get reported if they are caught.

A recent post on Redmire significantly changed my mind on this subject and I would hope that if these fish are ever caught they aren't made known but are quietly slipped back into their home without another word, as may already have been the case. Were these fish to be all over the angling press I suspect Redmire would get booked solid and the chances of fishing the pool would diminish as the 'carp chasers' would arrive… That would be sad for Redmire and probably everybody here who I suspect is still drawn to the myth of the pool even if they have no desire to actually fish there. Those that can afford it are currently pretty much able to get a slot to fish but that would almost certainly change.

Different in Yates' day as the chances of getting to fish Redmire were next to zero anyway and I'm still somewhat relieved that Kevin didn't catch the King and went as far as to denounce its existence. He he!

A friend of mine caught a very large perch from open to all public water that very few anglers knew about let alone fished. It wasn't a record but then again it probably wasn't that far off it either. Had that fish made the Angling Times our little bit of heaven would have been ruined.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Julian wrote:
Blunderer wrote:
Leigh wrote:I have just started reading The Lost Diary by Chris Yates - He comments that he saw the King at Redmire , a fish he had only glimpsed once, yet knew that is was probably the biggest carp in Europe.

Can anyone shed any more light on this leviathan?
Sorry to break the magic, but the problem with the legend of The King is twofold:

All of the big fish in redmire in that era were caught many times, and photographed, weighed and on many occasions named. The pool is tiny and fished very hard by very good anglers, so this is no surprise. But 'the king' was never caught.

However, there is a great photograph from the 60s which just could be it, emerging from a weed bed .You never truly know, Also, in the 1976 drought, the pool dried right up. The entire population of the lake could be seen most days on the top of the pool, and nobody saw or photographed the King.
despite the evidence.
The magic has not been broken. :Sun:
Your statement starting 'all the big fish in Redmire of that time were caught many times.................' is completely incorrect, and is information put about by anglers who seriously believe that if a water is fished extensively all of the big carp are seen and caught. Just because Redmire is small ( 2.7 acres is not that small) it makes no difference. There are many waters, some as small or smaller than Redmire which contain carp that are never caught and rarely seen. I believe a lot of the belief about all the big fish being caught may stem from comments on the 'Redmire Forever' film, by a few anglers who can't accept not catching or seeing all the big carp in a water.

With regard to the statement that 'in 1976 the pool dried right up' , it just is not true. The level dropped a lot - as did all waters in southern England , and during that period the Bishop was not seen, nor were any of the other giants, but from 1977 onwards they were, and a subsequent netting in 1979? ( I think it was 79) did not produce the Bishop or any carp over 30 lbs, yet in 1980 it was caught at 50lbs.

Snape's posts on this also make it clear that there is a 4ft plus common currently in Redmire that has been seen on occasions over the last seven years but it has not been caught.....................................yet .
You of course cannot say my statement that the big fish were all caught is "incorrect", because it's just your opinion. My opinion is that the majority of "uncaught monsters" around the UK these days are the product of over-tired, over-active, under-stimulated minds. Or imaginations.

Many credible anglers claim to have seen big carp in Redmire, and I'm not going to discount the possibility that a giant common existed back in the 70s, when tackle was much more basic, which didn't pick up baits. But if I'm honest, given the evidence, I'd say it was pretty unlikely, and even less likely in the modern era. Human testimony is not particularly powerful evidence, given the workings of the human brain in certain situations. Ghost stories illustrate that.

I'd love the monster myths of Redmire, and every lake, to be true, but the reality is that most aren't. But we will never, ever know, and I'm happy for it to be like that. There isn't enough mystery in angling now.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Beresford wrote:It's a better story in the long term if the big common(s) don't ever get reported if they are caught.

A recent post on Redmire significantly changed my mind on this subject and I would hope that if these fish are ever caught they aren't made known but are quietly slipped back into their home without another word, as may already have been the case. Were these fish to be all over the angling press I suspect Redmire would get booked solid and the chances of fishing the pool would diminish as the 'carp chasers' would arrive… That would be sad for Redmire and probably everybody here who I suspect is still drawn to the myth of the pool even if they have no desire to actually fish there. Those that can afford it are currently pretty much able to get a slot to fish but that would almost certainly change.

Different in Yates' day as the chances of getting to fish Redmire were next to zero anyway and I'm still somewhat relieved that Kevin didn't catch the King and went as far as to denounce its existence. He he!

A friend of mine caught a very large perch from open to all public water that very few anglers knew about let alone fished. It wasn't a record but then again it probably wasn't that far off it either. Had that fish made the Angling Times our little bit of heaven would have been ruined.
Point taken, but Redmire gets every peg booked up for every day of the season within about two hours of the telephone lines opening up in January. No-one needs to keep captures quiet. In fact I am pretty sure that the Redmire custodians would absolutely love Redmire to produce another monster. What I'm also pretty sure of is that with the number of anglers on there 24/7 it would be an incredible feat for a fish to go 40 years without being caught by a rod or a net or a camera. Some might even say impossible.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Imagine Redmire produces a 70lb carp, I think that would be a new British record. I suspect Redmire might suddenly be beyond the reach of most people to afford to fish there and that's just one of several possible negative scenarios I can think of.

The famous Eddie Price photograph may be the King in which case you are right!

:fish:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

When I catch him in 4 weeks time on me new MKIV and I have priority to fish Redmire I'll take each and everyone of you as my treat :tea:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Loop Erimder wrote:When I catch him in 4 weeks time on me new MKIV and I have priority to fish Redmire I'll take each and everyone of you as my treat :tea:

Have you by any chance dreamed about it's capture? :idea:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”