New British carp Record perhaps....

This forum is for discussing carp.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: New British carp Record perhaps....

Post by GregF »

Mark is right, Shaun. The story did come out earlier than the Subsurface publication. John Carver told the same version on stage at a carp do (Sandown, I think) around 2004, maybe 2005. I remember thinking exactly the same thing then as Gary has commented here. Far from shattering any illusions, it made Chris appear a lot more down-to-earth and like anybody else, capable of ‘losing it’ in a highly-charged situation. I didn’t feel as if I’d been deceived by the tale as recounted in Casting at the Sun either. The book followed the tradition of the ‘heroic quest’ and as such, pretty much demanded a fairy-tale ending. All the effing and blinding and storming off down the track would have seemed out of place, although if Chris had included it, I’m sure he’d have written it in such a way as to make it quite hilarious.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I never missed a show from those early N.A.S.G. ones through to the Carp Society ones and on. Some of those Dunstable shows were legendary. I still fondly remember watching Chris Yates ride through on his bike and crash into the stage! I think it was the same year as he shot me with a mini boilie out of his pea shooter. But from around '97 - '98 I ended up working at the shows rather than spectating at them, so now miss all the talks but I bow to your memories. I wasn't aware it had been in print before though. :Hat:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I wonder if Chris's reluctance to claim the long standing record held by Richard Walker until several years afterwards, may have been because of the method of its capture, rather than out of respect to Dick's achievement.

Just idle conjecture as it matters not a jot. To my mind it was a worthy capture and the landing of it just adds to the story for me, even if I have only just learned the details.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I had heard this account, or a slightly watered down version, some time ago. It's all part of the rich tapestry and all that. I don't think Bob, that there was any reluctance on Chris' part to claim the record with the Bishop. The fish was rejected by the record committee because they hadn't seen it to verify its pedigree. Apparently, although Redmire held just carp, gudgeon and eels, without a live fish or a carcass they could not ratify the claim. Such nonsense was eventually rectified.

Chris Yates allegedly put a false weight on his 'pot of gold' as he felt it was not a worthy fish to replace Clarissa/Ravioli due to its spawn bound shape.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Not the only Redmire fish to have been given a smaller weight than what it actually was. There were gentlemen around back then whose lives weren't dominated by lb's and oz's and the thoughts of others would be considered.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was on a stand at Dunstable & others! Addlestone Angling where Chris & Bob called in!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wow! Shaun, thanks. I do love it when you post stuff like this... fabulous, :Hat:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I slightly envy those who attended the early Carp Society conferences and wish I’d been there. I used to read about them in Carp Fisher magazine - they appeared to be very entertaining and with a different atmosphere to the more commercial events of today.
I wasn’t aware of JC’s version being written down either, Shaun. I’ve never seen it in print. The talk he did might have been at Five Lakes. It was definitely pre 2006 because I was working too, and I’ve only ever attended these shows when it was a work commitment. I’ve not been to a carp show since other than briefly popping into the Brentwood one a few years back to catch up with Joe Wright.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The Carp society Richard Walker Memorial was the best I attended, to see so many of his old friends turn up, people you never thought you would rub shoulders with. Even Richard Walker's Mother was there!

The old Loughborough and Nottingham N.A.S.G. conferences were very memorable, but for very different reasons. There were so few 'big fish anglers' around back then, that had a bomb dropped, it would probably have wiped out most of them. How things have changed in such a relatively short space of time.

Brentwood show for me this week-end. Probably the most tiring 3 days of this year. It seems such a normal thing to do to get another round in at 4 am but by the time the alarm goes at 7 am you tend to regret it a little. Then Saturday night you forget how tired you were Saturday morning.

Hey ho, glad I have to connect to the life support machine at night for all that air pumped into me makes me a lot fresher than I used to feel.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

thanks for sharing Shaun. I grabbed it from the shelf right away! When I get home from work I have to re-read that chapter in Casting at the sun.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”