Potato - anyone still using them ?

This forum is for discussing carp.
DWW
Grayling

Potato - anyone still using them ?

Post by DWW »

I must admit that I have never used a potato as bait. So having been immersed in the writings of carp fisherman of the past I thought I might give the humble spud a go . Has anyone used them and any advice much appreciated ?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Potato - anyone still using them ?

Post by Duebel »

I used to fish for Carp with potatoes when I was a kid 30 years ago. I boiled them, pealed them and prepared a swim in my local river with a few handful of spuds for a few days. I didn't take the really big potatoes so that I could use a whole one as a bait. A lead on the mainline, a swivel and a large single hook to a 20 inch hooklength. The hooklenght pulled through the spud with a baiting needle. I was fishing rather close to the bank. I remember catching some double figure Carp like that.
I tried this method last year but unfortunately there are so many Round Goby in the river by now, that offering any bait on the ground is getting a nightmare. The Goby take literally everything no matter what size, when you cast it in front of them. As those little fish haven't arrived in the UK yet (and hopefully never will) you shouldn't have any problems catching selectively big carp on potatoe.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

We used to use the small new potatoes that you get ready cooked in cans, just push a large hook into them till its covered then free line it in the margins.

Must try this again.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Anyone used then for other species like chub with success?

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Thanks Gents I will get a couple of tins and report back !

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I remember years ago using Cadburys Smash and fine brown crumb for cloud bait, it certainly drew the roach in.

Wal.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Only recently I have heard of pole fisherman at one of our club lakes using sliced potato soaked in coffee. These they then use as a punch bait. It has all the appearance of pellet, but because it is softer has greater hooking ability.​ Something I plan to try.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I remember John Bailey saying on the Mr Crabtree TV program that he had never caught on a potato, despite trying several times. I have also read about people having to dump buckets and buckets of them into a lake before ever having caught on them. Why not make life easier for yourself and stick to the old favourites: spam, sweetcorn and bread?

I myself have never seen the point in trying something I have heard people struggle so much to catch fish with. But I wish you luck if you decide to give potato a try!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

For the really big fat old carp you may be better off trying chips! :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

Stour Otter wrote:Only recently I have heard of pole fisherman at one of our club lakes using sliced potato soaked in coffee. These they then use as a punch bait. It has all the appearance of pellet, but because it is softer has greater hooking ability.​ Something I plan to try.

Stour Otter
If I remember it s a trick that bob nudd has used for years ,but keep it under your hat. :Hat:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”