Thames carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Thames carp

Post by Bobthefloat »

Hi guys I was just wondering how many of you have caught a Thames carp and if so would you be willing to share a pic or two?
My one and only carp came from the tidal stretch at Twickenham the lads I was with had them to over 30lb on a regular basis.
Mine was a 5lb common it nearly pulled the rod in!
Hoping to seek out a double at least this season!
Regards
Terry

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Thames carp

Post by Santiago »

My son caught this Thames carp at just over 19lb several years ago whilst fishing for barbel. Annoyingly it was caught on my rod! Where was I? Inside my narrowboat making a cuppa. To his credit, he baited up the swim by casting out lots of hemp using a small bait dropper, and not only did he set up the rods he also cast them out tightly to the baited spots; and not more than a few minutes after he first cast I went inside to make the tea to a whistling kettle. And I didn't expect at that moment to hear him yell "hey dad, I've a big fish on come quickly ". And I didn't expect to see him with a big grin on his face with my bent rod in his hands.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Had a couple Terry, this one from behind Vandals rugby club .

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Santiago wrote:Image

My son caught this Thames carp at just over 19lb several years ago whilst fishing for barbel. Annoyingly it was caught on my rod! Where was I? Inside my narrowboat making a cuppa. To his credit, he baited up the swim by casting out lots of hemp using a small bait dropper, and not only did he set up the rods he also cast them out tightly to the baited spots; and not more than a few minutes after he first cast I went inside to make the tea to a whistling kettle. And I didn't expect at that moment to hear him yell "hey dad, I've a big fish on come quickly ". And I didn't expect to see him with a big grin on his face with my bent rod in his hands.
Your son thoroughly deserved that fish then !
great stuff :Thumb:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Paul D wrote:Had a couple Terry, this one from behind Vandals rugby club .
What a cracking fish Paul love a scaley one!!!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Radnor Gardens - 1958 - old gent with a cane rod similar to Ashy Cut's spliced tip rod and a cane carp type rod - ledgering with bread - bread bobbin shoots up on the spliced rod - plays the fish for what seemed an age - "huge" fish rolls about 20 feet out - line parts/hook comes out - gone!

My first recollection of a Tidal Thames carp - an impression never forgotten of a fish I later realised was in its 20s.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Olly wrote:Radnor Gardens - 1958 - old gent with a cane rod similar to Ashy Cut's spliced tip rod and a cane carp type rod - ledgering with bread - bread bobbin shoots up on the spliced rod - plays the fish for what seemed an age - "huge" fish rolls about 20 feet out - line parts/hook comes out - gone!

My first recollection of a Tidal Thames carp - an impression never forgotten of a fish I later realised was in its 20s.
That's exactly where I landed my 5lber sir and I'll never forget that one either

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I will be targeting them this weekend next to a secluded weir where they are known to form small shoals along with barbel.

Hemingway

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Santiago wrote:I will be targeting them this weekend next to a secluded weir where they are known to form small shoals along with barbel.
Sounds fantastic please let us know how you get on!!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Don't worry if I catch one I will be sure to tell all. The spot I will be fishing is now private apart from boats that can fish from an EA bank, but when it was fished by a local club the anglers I spoke to regularly caught carp to 30lb plus, and better still, they told me exactly where they shoal. For bait I have Bacon Grill and hopefully lots of lob worms if they arrive by Friday. Probably catch lots of perch but I don't really care!

Hemingway

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”