Thames carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Thames carp

Post by Bobthefloat »

Santiago wrote:Don't worry if I catch one I will be sure to tell all. The spot I will be fishing is now private apart from boats that can fish from an EA bank, but when it was fished by a local club the anglers I spoke to regularly caught carp to 30lb plus, and better still, they told me exactly where they shoal. For bait I have Bacon Grill and hopefully lots of lob worms if they arrive by Friday. Probably catch lots of perch but I don't really care!
Sounds perfect good luck sir tight lines :Hat:

JAA

Post by JAA »

I've seen several carp in the Kingston area which were certainly low twenties and an angler on the free stretch on the left bank showed me pictures of a near 30 he'd caught earlier in the day. At 7am one morning in April this year, I was treated to the sight of carp rising regularly in the area upstream of the bridge. Carp are certainly in that area.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Carp can often be seen in quite large numbers in Kingston where the hogsmill river joins on the town center side.
Shame it's no fishing along that side.

JAA

Post by JAA »

BobTheFloat wrote:Carp can often be seen in quite large numbers in Kingston where the hogsmill river joins on the town center side.
Shame it's no fishing along that side.

Quite. The one in the picture was on that side, opposite Woodbine Road! I've seen them in the Hogsmill as well as you say.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Back in the 80s and early 90s I lived in Surbiton and along the tow path towards Kingston I used to see a group of easy 20 lb+ carp cruising about where the words 'no fishing' were clearly painted on the path. It was tempting though...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Snape wrote:Back in the 80s and early 90s I lived in Surbiton and along the tow path towards Kingston I used to see a group of easy 20 lb+ carp cruising about where the words 'no fishing' were clearly painted on the path. It was tempting though...
I know exactly what you mean Nigel just along there is the marina and I've seen some huge carp in there I've even stood in the car park next door throwing mixers over the fence and watching them take with no hesitation.
I have been tempted to hop the fence but common sense prevailed and plus I like to relax when fishing not looking over my shoulder.
I have been considering paying a few quid for a syndicate of some sort to get the peace and quiet and seclusion I'm yearning for but for the same sort of money I could have a boat on the Thames.
I think I'll be investing next year.
Well once I run it past the boss anyways!

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

We used to catch the odd smallish carp from Teddington Lock when fishing for barbel and I can still remember clearly the evening my brother hooked some unseen leviathan that slowly moved up and down the weir for perhaps half an hour before finally snagging on a tethered buoy!
Another time my brother trotting for perch and dace opposite Eel Pie Island hooked a far bigger beast than expected and after a lengthy battle landed a 15lb common in front of quite a large audience.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I netted at 12lb common for a mate at tags island and also witnessed a 16lb mirror caught by some chap from Liverpool in the same night.
Sadly no fishing signs along there now

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thames carp records:- Common at 40lb 5oz and Mirror at 47lb; Grass at 30lb 1oz and a Crucian at 4lb 2oz.

Ouse is not the only river with big barbel either - Thames 18lb 2oz and Kennet at 19lb 5oz.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well my lob worms arrived so I will definitely be out all weekend trying to catch one. And the barbel where I will be fishing now go to 17lb. So I think I will be using my MKIV carp rod and will have to check what line I have on what reel. Might end up with using a bait runner on cane! Just don't tell anybody.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”