83 lb carp from Wingham

This forum is for discussing carp.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: 83 lb carp from Wingham

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I take my hat off to the captor for returning it without a fuss and loads of trophy shots. The fish swam off strongly and the captor certainly isn't making a record claim with it, although after Roddy Porter and Alex White's captures of the Mid Northants fish which took the record from The Old 38 that Chris yates caught. The BRFC would probably have accepted it.
He was fishing blind in a very special place and wouldn't have known what fish was coming along, indeed the weight has shocked everyone anyway.
At least now when the next force fed fish comes along and is stocked and caught within a week we can say, yes, but it isn't as heavy as the Wingham fish which had lived its life there.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Oh dear that's not a well fish....shame, but such is....
My hat goes off too, to the captor for not putting in a record claim.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

A great shame the fish can't be helped, sad really.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Carp, Carping - Carpe Diem - sadly no more than mere platitudes. How about a home grown 100, 125? When you look at how carpfishing has become a numbers game (Ibs & £'s) it sincerely worries me that in the long run that's how all our beloved fish & fishing will end up. Let's face it Barbel & Tench are not that far behind. Now who would prefer a Gudgeon?
Last edited by Pallenpool on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

poisoned by being fed on high protien boilies, so sad

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Is it possibly in the same condition as Yatesy's 'Pot of Gold' fish which was probably over 44lb when landed but twice the size?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Chubman wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 am poisoned by being fed on high protien boilies, so sad
I very much doubt that is the case.

Nevertheless, it is sad to see a carp in this condition. Much respect to the captor for not claiming the record or seeking glory. There are certainly some around who would have.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

It certainly has that ancient fish look about it in Shaun’s first post. I have no idea or opinion on what may be wrong with the fish, to attain such a weight gain so quickly, but I agree with a previous post, it is sad that it couldn’t be helped in some way. Or at least kept in a place it could be monitored for a while.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Bubbling bariatrics batman!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Poor thing looks in a terrible state. Shame, it's such a handsome carp with a fabulous scale pattern.

As for "Poisoned by boilies" :roll: Just pulled this from the Net

Dropsy is the buildup of fluid inside the body cavity or tissues of a fish. As a symptom rather than a disease, it can indicate a number of underlying diseases, including bacterial infections, parasitic infections, or liver dysfunction.

and

Dropsy in koi is not a disease, but rather the result of some other cause. ... The Aeromonas or Pseudomonas bacterium is usually the culprit behind a bloated koi with bacterial dropsy. Parasites penetrate and damage the skin of a fish then the bacterial infection sets in.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”