Can someone please explain this behavior

This forum is for discussing carp.
Buller
Rudd

Can someone please explain this behavior

Post by Buller »

This morning (for the second time) I observed literally hundreds of carp all lying almost motionless with their lips opening on the water surface. The fish were concentrated in a band reaching across the lake. I checked for bugs but I couldn’t see anything on the surface. I saw this same phenomenon week or so ago. I spend a while each morning bird watching here before work so I didn’t have my rod! It’s been pretty hot lately and not much rain. Any ideas lads?
Thanks, Buller

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Can someone please explain this behavior

Post by DaceAce »

Lack of dissolved oxygen?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If it is hot then almost certainly lack of dissolved oxygen and they are trying to get it from the topmost layer where it is most concentrated. :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Buller wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 am This morning (for the second time) I observed literally hundreds of carp all lying almost motionless with their lips opening on the water surface. The fish were concentrated in a band reaching across the lake. I checked for bugs but I couldn’t see anything on the surface. I saw this same phenomenon week or so ago. I spend a while each morning bird watching here before work so I didn’t have my rod! It’s been pretty hot lately and not much rain. Any ideas lads?
Thanks, Buller
What sort of water is it Buller? The size, depth amount of shelter such as surrounded by trees? and what was the temperature? All of these will help to narrow it down but I suspect, as Daceace has already said, it's lack of oxygen.

Nice to see you posting again by the way :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snape wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am If it is hot then almost certainly lack of dissolved oxygen and they are trying to get it from the topmost layer where it is most concentrated. :(
Fascinating Nigel! I never knew that, how does that happen? :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Paul D wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:49 pm
Snape wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am If it is hot then almost certainly lack of dissolved oxygen and they are trying to get it from the topmost layer where it is most concentrated. :(
Fascinating Nigel! I never knew that, how does that happen? :Hat:
In the uppermost layer there will be algae and phytoplankton which produce oxygen through photosynthesis and oxygen will be dissolving directly from the air, especially is the surface is disturbed by wind or splashing. It may not make a lot of difference to the amount of dissolved oxygen but enough for the fish to detect and head to the surface.

Last edited by Snape on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Its concerning Buller as you say its for the second time. If this continues for any length of time - more than a few hours, then the fish will most likely die through lack of oxygen.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Pray for rain and a good blow I'm afraid.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Big winds are more important than rain and tunnels for the wind to cut through, such as gaps in the trees etc.
Heavy rain can create big oxygen crashes too.

Buller
Rudd

Post by Buller »

Interesting Shaun - I'd have thought that rain would have oxygenated the water

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”