More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

This forum is for discussing carp.
JohnClyde
Perch

Re: More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

Post by JohnClyde »

Fascinating topic! When I'm back at home up north, Todmorden mentioned in the original quote from Clifford's book is round the corner. I'd love to find out where those Leney carp were stocked. Does anyone know how to contact Kevin Clifford?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I found this old advert in my 1953 Midland Angling Guide.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Caractacus Potts wrote:Image

A digi photo of a film photo. A Woody lake 2 linear, about 2002. A possible Leney progeny ?

CP. Is that the Boat Swim on Lake 2 (the one with an old boat half buried in the bank)?

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Possibly, yes, it was a swim 2 or 3 up from the dam anyway, caught off the top too. :Thumb:

Edit. In fact thinking back now, I caught it from a small, tight swim, and the photo's were taken a swim or so nearer the dam where there was more room.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

I just love the Woodchester linears.... Such perfect carp. I'll look out some photos from from Number 1 if I can find them - perfect zips. This was my biggest Woodchester Leney thus far, from Number 3. Why hasn't anyone given the lakes more imaginative names I wonder? Image

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Had some very happy days and some very eerie nights at Woodchester (especially on Lake 4) back in the late 90's.
You could really lose yourself down there. Had to give it up for reasons of time and money.
Must go and have another look one of these days. You could really lose yourself down there.
Skeff
Assume it's still with the Priory?

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

It is still with The Priory..... Top of lake 4 was my favourite area...

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Gateleaner wrote:Ah Woodchester! Where the Dark Angel showed herself when a number of american servicemen mysteriously drowned on a pre D Day exercise on the lakes. Also boasts as documented hauntings, "a Roman centurion who patrols the gate on the south road, a ragged dwarf, a headless horseman, a floating coffin, a Black Dog which was a death portent and most frequently, a spectral figure which has come to be regarded as the man in his night-shirt who was unfortunately savaged by his own dogs." I can add to that a little girl dressed in white who stares and stares.

I fished the lakes for a few seasons. Once I spent the night by myself on Lake 5 when my friend didn't turn up due to his van breaking down. Never never never again. Despite my prayers I did get a run.The fish smashed me up in the pitch darkness.
Forgot I had already posted on Woodchester last year. Don't know why I referred to Lake 5. I meant to say lake 4. Maybe there is a Lake 5, a ghost lake, which only apparates at certain times... I obviously spent too much time down there.

The Ghosts could become the lake's names. Next time you renew the lease Skeff the lakes could be renamed The Dark Angel, The Headless Dwarf etc. Maybe not.

Time for a cup of tea I think.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Gateleaner wrote:
Gateleaner wrote:Ah Woodchester! Where the Dark Angel showed herself when a number of american servicemen mysteriously drowned on a pre D Day exercise on the lakes. Also boasts as documented hauntings, "a Roman centurion who patrols the gate on the south road, a ragged dwarf, a headless horseman, a floating coffin, a Black Dog which was a death portent and most frequently, a spectral figure which has come to be regarded as the man in his night-shirt who was unfortunately savaged by his own dogs." I can add to that a little girl dressed in white who stares and stares.

I fished the lakes for a few seasons. Once I spent the night by myself on Lake 5 when my friend didn't turn up due to his van breaking down. Never never never again. Despite my prayers I did get a run.The fish smashed me up in the pitch darkness.
Forgot I had already posted on Woodchester last year. Don't know why I referred to Lake 5. I meant to say lake 4. Maybe there is a Lake 5, a ghost lake, which only apparates at certain times... I obviously spent too much time down there.

The Ghosts could become the lake's names. Next time you renew the lease Skeff the lakes could be renamed The Dark Angel, The Headless Dwarf etc. Maybe not.

Time for a cup of tea I think.
Naming lakes after ghosts! - what a lovely, poetic idea, Gateleaner! :Thumb: :Sun:

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

I love that idea..... And there is actually a ghost lake 5 as well. If you walk on up the valley past 4 towards the mansion, you will find the remains of a dam that was either never completed or breached in the long forgotten past......

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”