More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

Re: More Leney Progeny about than we think ?

Post by Skeff »

Why thank you kindly! Unless Gateleaner or other beat me to the draw I'll kick it off with some photographs and a brief description this evening...

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Skeff wrote:Why thank you kindly! Unless Gateleaner or other beat me to the draw I'll kick it off with some photographs and a brief description this evening...
Look forward to it.... :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just wanted to say what a lovely thread and nice to know the records are being looked after by those that care.

A question earlier how to contact Kevin Clifford. I don't give peoples numbers out for obvious reasons but a call to the Carp-Talk offices or email should get you through to Beverley (Kevin's daughter) who I would imagine will make it possible for you to contact Kevin by some means.

FinnLewis90four

Post by FinnLewis90four »

How many lakes in essex was stocked with leney? I'm Braintree based and have always fished a little lake in Bradwell that has appatabtly been stocked with leney years ago. I have had an ancient linear from there and it is truly amazing. Looked like bishop herself.!

Fishing is an obsession that can drive a mam from the arms of a good woman

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This would make a great book, even if it were just professionally scanned and published 'as is' by the sound of things.

(Could raise some money for a good cause, I'd be surprised if a bit of publicity didn't generate enough sponsorship?)
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Split Cane Master

Post by Split Cane Master »

Hello everyone, Was there any pools in the east yorkshire area that was stocked with the leney strain of carp.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Skeff wrote:I just happen to have Mr Leney's stocking records at the moment - I'm looking after them for Chris Yates. There isn't a single part of the country that didn't have a stocking of carp from the Surrey Trout Farm at some point during its operation.... It's not just the direct stockings either - for example Leney stocked the Lumm AC waters and according to a good friend of mine, Nick Elliott, who was a big part of the northern carp scene years ago, young fish from Lymm Dam were transported to the Isle Pool ner Shrewsbury, which is where many of the original mangrove and Fennimere carp came from.... It's fascinating once you get into it....

Leney's trout stocking record is just as interesting. He was one of the first to import rainbows and cutthtroat from the US.... He also had a contract with the Foreign Office to set up trout fisheries overseas for diplomatic staff to fish and he exported trout ova and the entire ecosystem needed to support them to Kenya, India, Nepal, Ceylon, South Africa and The Falkland Islands amongst other countries.... So the huge Falkland Island and Tierra Del Fuegan sea trout are possibly Leney stock....
This is interesting, I caught a couple of wildie types recently from an old pool and did some digging and found the pool was stocked from the isle.
There are only a few Carp in this pool all of have this wild appearance

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Caractacus Potts wrote:A Roman soldier, a dwarfey bloke thing, some American G.I's drowned while on exercise on the lakes during the war.......take yer pick !

Funnily enough there's a lake near me where the same thing happened but I understand it occurred during a pleasure day and not an exercise. I discovered this story after a fairly hair-raising experience in broad day-light. This lake is on an estate and the valley was damned to form the pool. Nobody has ever been allowed to fish it but it's just the sort of place that I'd expect to have been stocked with Leney carp.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Kevin wrote:
Skeff wrote:I just happen to have Mr Leney's stocking records at the moment - I'm looking after them for Chris Yates. There isn't a single part of the country that didn't have a stocking of carp from the Surrey Trout Farm at some point during its operation.... It's not just the direct stockings either - for example Leney stocked the Lumm AC waters and according to a good friend of mine, Nick Elliott, who was a big part of the northern carp scene years ago, young fish from Lymm Dam were transported to the Isle Pool ner Shrewsbury, which is where many of the original mangrove and Fennimere carp came from.... It's fascinating once you get into it....

Leney's trout stocking record is just as interesting. He was one of the first to import rainbows and cutthtroat from the US.... He also had a contract with the Foreign Office to set up trout fisheries overseas for diplomatic staff to fish and he exported trout ova and the entire ecosystem needed to support them to Kenya, India, Nepal, Ceylon, South Africa and The Falkland Islands amongst other countries.... So the huge Falkland Island and Tierra Del Fuegan sea trout are possibly Leney stock....
This is interesting, I caught a couple of wildie types recently from an old pool and did some digging and found the pool was stocked from the isle.
There are only a few Carp in this pool all of have this wild appearance
The Surrey Trout Farm carp shouldn't be confused with wildies, as Leney's stocks were king carp.
The fish you have caught could, of course, be king carp that are reverting to a more wild appearance over time, though I'm not sure how many generations it takes for a noticeable change in appearance.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Any stockings in Essex Skeff?

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”