Trent barbel

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Jardine
Perch

Trent barbel

Post by Jardine »

This was in this weeks online edition of Angling Times,if it is true it is extraordinary.

"Schoolboy has achieved what many seasoned specimen anglers can only dream of – hauling in an incredible 19 double-figure barbel in a single session.

The remarkable catch, which totalled over 200lb, was made by eight year-old Rio Kassim, who was fishing the prolific Collingham Weir day-ticket stretch of the River Trent in Nottinghamshire.

Accompanied by his dad, Leon, and two friends, the youngster bagged 20 fish in total, only one of which failed to make the 10lb mark. They included four over 13lb, topped off by a personal-best 13lb 10oz specimen."

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: Trent barbel

Post by Northern Eel »

Could be true, the size of barbel in that part of the Trent are now averaging double figures anyway, it is still remarkable especially for an eight year old.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

The lad will be hooked for life!!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Must be one strong eight year old, love this to be true. :tea:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Lovely to think it was true but having fished the Trent for over 40 years and particularly for the barbel in recent years, yes it is possible but I very much doubt it to be true unless they are including the fish caught by others that day. There are some very good barbel anglers out there and half a dozen doubles in a day is very good going let alone 19 of them.

The statistics of 4 over 13 lb out of 20 fish I would say was a tad on the high side but certainly possible. I fish much further up river and appear to catch more barbel over 11 1/2 lb than I do under 11 1/2 lb but not many 13 lb fish come by. This season I have landed them to 14 lb 14 oz but that was quite an exceptional fish. My stretches have hardly any young fish coming through and similarly very few over 13 lb. It is almost as though we have just one year class as the predominant fish with hardly any younger or older. To be fair, the Collingham stretch is under a lot more pressure than anywhere I fish (I move to different stretches if someone is fishing the stretch I fancy) and one thing is for sure it will be under even more pressure now, if it is or isn't true because you know what? Some people believe the written word of news givers.

He must be one hell of a big 8 year old lad to manage to play out 19 double figure barbel in a day. The Trent fish sure pull your string and for a considerable time too.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Mark wrote:Here is a link to the article.

http://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/fishing-n ... f-all-time
Thanks for that Mark, I echo Shaun's comment, highly doubtful, my lad had a eleven pounder (think he was around 13 at the time?) and he really needed help with it, the fish the lad is shown holding would be quite capable of pulling him in, typical Angling times .

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Well, if the Angling Times says it's true it must be :tea:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

CEMEX had part of the bank opposite below the lock.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

I agree with shaun also,very pressured water ,i fushed it once and it was like s circus down there ,i have never fished nor will i fish it again
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”