A rainbow and a smiling bait showed me the way.

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

A rainbow and a smiling bait showed me the way.

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Well, with the rivers finally filling with rain and starting to rise I felt it would be nothing short of rude not to take advantage and snuck off for another 3 hour session. I cast 2 rods and settled back to see how much weed was drifting down the river. As it happened there was a lot, as you would expect on the first rise for several weeks. I persevered but it was real hard work keeping two rods fishing as the weed constantly wiped me out between bouts of rain.

Then I read a message from nature as part of a rainbow suddenly came visible and pointed direct to my right hand rod tip. I decided the weed was just too bad for 2 rods so I took the advice of nature and continued only with the rod that had been highlighted. Now one rod was much certainly more manageable and I was even able to sit back long enough for a snatched cup of coffee.

I took a Absolute Seafood boilie out of the box and it was definitely smiling at me. It made me smile back and it simply had to go on the hair, what with the rainbow and the happy bait plus me working much harder than is usually necessary just to keep a bait fishing, I really felt something must happen.

I had to wait for it though and the river gods certainly made me work hard. But as we all know a little extra effort can so often bring pleasant rewards and eventually that tip whipped around and the spool spun so much faster than the weed had been spinning it.

I was immediately on my feet and into battle with something that definitely didn't want to remain in the pool where I had hooked it. Only the previous week end my mate Dave Booth had been laughing at how much I'd had to pay to replace my old leather lined Le Chameau wellies. I don't think he had noticed zip up wellies before as I had worn my old pair for the previous 8 years or so but at that moment in time I was glad I was zipped in as I'm sure that barbel would have pulled me out of a normal pair of wellies, it was fighting so hard!

The thought amused me thinking about someone walking along the river and simply seeing 2 wellies not knowing a huge barbel had pulled someone out of them and towed him down river never to be seen again!

Less of the frivolity, I had a fish to fight. After what seemed an absolute age with tremendous turns in speed I was eventually able to slip the net under a rather splendid looking creature and after a couple of quick self takes with the camera I returned the fish to its home and then decided to do the same myself. I packed and left feeling most content with my evenings work.

Hovis
Tench

Re: A rainbow and a smiling bait showed me the way.

Post by Hovis »

I say Shaun that fish looks in good condition!

The fish I have been catching recently have been built like outside toilets.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Well done Shaun, looks a lovely fish. Sometimes the signs are so good that you would go home a little confused as to why you didn't catch, I know I would :shocked:
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Superb Barbel :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Lovely picture and fish
Bumble

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I have been rather blessed with some wonderful fish these past few weeks.

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

:drool:
Wow are they all from the Trent? If so that's given me some great inspiration for Monday.
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

They are, sport has been too good to go elsewhere. 2 of them aren't doubles, they are all separate captures but I am running out of different jackets and shirts to make them look different :laugh:

Will try and get over Monday for a chat but daren't promise anything at the moment, trade is hectic at times then quiet at others so need to make the most of the 'hectic'.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Most excellent Sir :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Years of trying to avoid other anglers. Too many want too much on a plate. I will help anyone to catch fish but I don't like being pushed out of my own fishing. Most of the fish above are from areas not getting fished, all are from open to all club water tickets and by rotating my stretches around none of them come under much pressure. I don't enjoy the scenario of waiting my turn in a swim so tend to wander off and do my own thing.

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”