Penultimate pike

This forum is for discussing pike.
Sion
Bleak

Penultimate pike

Post by Sion »

What a most beautiful weekend, the spring has truly arrived.

With only 2 weekends of the season left, my boy and I headed to the banks of the River Medway.

On my last visit to this spot, I was greeted with a torrent of chocolate milkshake, breaking the tops of the banks, in its anticipation to empty out into the nearby Thames Estuary. I just turned around and went home!

Fortunately, on this occasion, conditions could not have been better.

A lone barge tottering by gently was welcomed, unlike the regular water traffic, which can cause problems later in the year.

Moving downstream from the bridge, casting in at various points, we stopped at low lying accessible spot. Although, the banks along this particular stretch were straight, the pool in front of us appeared still and calm. Undeterred by the busy flow mid-stream

My son's float bobbed a couple of times, gently pulled away a few centimetres .. then stopped (sigh). We talked of the one that got away, speculated that it might come back and I carried on throwing my lure in various directions.

About 10 minutes later, he decided to reel in and try another spot and this splendid Esox lucius was on the end. Could this be the same fish that gave the bait a little push earlier?

Julian
    Salmon

Re: Penultimate pike

Post by Julian »

Nice result on apleasant day.
    There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
    Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Sion.
    Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
    where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
    Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Good shot sion I hope to be out on Tuesday for the pikes
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”