Drop Shotting - Nothing New ?

This forum is for discussing perch.
DWW
Grayling

Drop Shotting - Nothing New ?

Post by DWW »

My recent trip through a load of old " Angling " magazines , has been a bit of a re education in my fishing knowledge and outlook . The so called new methods and tactics are really only a development of existing practise it would seem .

I have tried ( as yet unsuccessfully ) the dropshot style of fishing for Perch .

I was lucky to be in New York last year and of course no visit to the US of A could be without a trip to a tackle shop or two ! The guys in the shop I visited were really helpful and I came away with drop shot worms and hooks plus a few lessons in what and how to do it . They were really interested in the UK Carp scene as they mostly viewed the Carp as a nuisance fish ( ! ) However one of the guys fly fished for Carp and he was full of praise for them .

Anyway back to the magazines . I found this in a 1965 issue :

Basically drop shotting with a " real " worm . Anyone use this method ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Drop Shotting - Nothing New ?

Post by Olly »

Worm 'twitching' has always been used, either when float fishing, free lining or ledgering.

Fly fishing with Sinfoil's fry which was was one I used with great success sink and draw at Weir Wood Reservoir in the early 60's. Alternatives were tandem lures, Alexandra, Black & Silver or Gold, etc - all working well.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

It wasn't called drop shotting when I used to do it with lobworms. It was just a way of working a worm and avoiding the dreaded crayfish. Good for chub as well as perch, or even the odd jack.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's a tad different from some modern drop shotting set ups that I've seen and used. Some modern day bespoke drop shotting hooks are designed to be tied about 12" or so above the weight directly to the main line using a palomar knot, with no swivel or hooklink paternoster involved. This allows a much better presentation and twitching. Having a long hooklink /swivel as indicated in the diagram is just a version of legering crossed with floatless stret pegging. Actual drop shotting is different because the worm can be twitched much more effectively.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Sink and draw is not drop shotting - but many newcomers to dropshotting think it is. That's why they don't catch much. It is sink and retrieve very , very slowly( if at all) and a near continuous wiggle to the lure.'Work the worm and not the weight '.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

With Santiago & John here..... when drop shotting vertically, I actually (as others do) attach a small length of savage super elastic braid between the weight & line, which cause the rig to bounce, and bait or rubber to flutter continuously, which drives the perch & chub mad. I`ve tried this, as John has described, with sink & draw method and its effective.....

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I now prefer to drop shot using a dropper tied to the link rather than to tie the hook direcky to the link with a Palomar knot.I think the presentation of the lure,worm or fly is better

Any thoughts
Mark Davies

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”