Switching to 'smug mode'...

This forum is for discussing perch.
Richard C
Brown Trout

Switching to 'smug mode'...

Post by Richard C »

Despite being the only member trying for them in my syndicate pool, I've not caught a perch much over eight ounces before.
But being stubborn and despite being laughed at with my silly wooden rod and net by the carp anglers, whom inform me regularly that 'there's no big Perch in here' I was given the satisfaction of sticking two fingers up at the scoffers.

A new p.b of 2lb 10 ozs. Not huge by most standards but satisfactory none the less. And I just know there's a bigger one lurking in the depths....

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Switching to 'smug mode'...

Post by AshbyCut »

"Not huge" ????? There are those of us who'd consider that a 'fish of a lifetime" !!! Well done indeed, Young Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

That is a great perch - well done!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A fine perch Richard, well done on a new best! Not sure if you've noticed in your excitement but it only has four stripes (that I can make out). I think it was Scott that posted about perch markings a while back, he showed a fish with 8 or 10 per side when the standard seems to be 6. :Hat:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Huge by my standards, for sure - well done!
I read , heaven knows where, that young perch usually have nine stripes, which merge as they age. The pale patch at the top of the biggest stripe would seem to show this process in action.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Well done Richard, that is a cracker by any standards. With regard to stripes the number varies considerably but remember one thing, sergeants have only 3!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Well done, a fantastic fish
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Cracking fish,huge for anywhere.well done for sticking two fingers up to the non-believers.big stripeys break away from the shoal and hunt in small packs,you bet there will be more big fish in there,good luck in finding them.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done Richard, superb Perch :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done! Nice fish.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"