Perch on sweetcorn

This forum is for discussing perch.
Duckett
Tench

Perch on sweetcorn

Post by Duckett »

Back in our youth my brother and I both remember reading that Perch could be caught on sweetcorn but neither of us recall ever having caught one in about 47 years angling.

During the recent hot spell that changed. I had over a dozen from 3 different stillwaters and my brother has had a handful on one stillwater he fishes. Even my girlfriend chipped in with a couple of these vegetarian Perch! The largest was about 6 inches.

So, I was wondering, does anyone else have experience of catching Perch on sweetcorn and does anyone have any idea why we should start catching them during the recent hot spell?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Perch on sweetcorn

Post by Santiago »

I have caught perch on sweetcorn many times, but mainly when reeling in. I suspect it's the colour and movement like a lure.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Possibly like grayling - they think it is an egg! Carp egg perhaps?

Grayling possibly think sweetcorn are salmon eggs - and are willing to take the grains - which may be harmful to them esp if eaten in large quantities.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I think I may have nabbed the odd Perca to sweetcorn but not on a regular basis
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

In a water that was stuffed with small rudd they still went for static boilies. As with humans. a little of what you fancy....... :Wink:

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I always thought that small perch were more omnivorous as they had to eat whatever they could to grow.
Once they reach a certain size they become more and more hunters but will still scavenge when necessary.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

One they reach a certain size they also become remarkably difficult to locate let alone catch............

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I may be wrong but they seem to have a shortish lifespan?

Hence here today & gone tomorrow which happened on a section of the Kennet I fished. 2s a plenty and the occasional 3+. Then not even small ones!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

My best perch took a trotted tare; my second best, a grain of hemp.
My third best took a smelt, and was a bit under a pound and a half.
I don't understand or particularly like catching them them, but they put me off using worms and maggots, which keeps things cheap, I suppose.
I would enjoy catching them if they were more reliably easy to unhook. And less spikey.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I've recently started catching perch on corn. Not moving but static on the bottom. I think it may say more about the food levels in the lake rather than the liking of perch for corn
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”