Legering for Perch

This forum is for discussing perch.
Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Legering for Perch

Post by Hampshireboy »

Hi all, this Autumn and Winter I am going to have a go at upping my PB Perch. Though I prefer to float fish for them I will also be using a light running leger set up. I was thinking of open bail arm with drop off indicator as with my Pike legering. I know some use a light bobbin on a long drop so was wondering what leger method others find most successful. I know it varies water to water and on some venues resistance free set ups are not as critical, I am just curious as to how most people approach Perch leger rigs. Regards. Steve

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Legering for Perch

Post by Santiago »

Simple touch ledgering with half a lob! The bites are unmissable!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

I agree, but there will be times when a Hot cup of Heinz finest Oxtail in one hand and a neatly rolled Amber leaf in the other will make this tricky. 😁

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

On stillwater I use a very light bobbin (old washing up bottle top) and a centrepin with the ratchet off meaning there is nearly no resistance.
I used this on a pond and had lots of 2lb perch using a king prawn for bait.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`¡.¸¸.¡´¯`¡.¸¸.¡´¯`¡.¸ ><((((º>

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I'd be inclined to either freeline or have an ultra low resistance ledger... ( big bead and large loop on the lead) bigger Perch are notorious for dropping baits at the slightest resistance...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You usually need a bobbin even on still water to overcome wind or or water movement. Just make sure you are using a large eyed link swivel so that the line will pass through easily. If there's any weed or silt I often use a length of tubing between the lead and link swivel with just enough cork at the top to keep it clear of obstructions.

The picture is as near as I can find. I cover the short link to the lead with stiff rig tubing (or an old biro ink tube) and put a cork ball at the top. It's a great rig for perch and zander that drop baits if there's too much resistance.

Free running link - (can have swivel attached)

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

it all depends on the bait you will be using Hampshire boy.when using maggots we can be a bit more nonchalant with the set up because they just gub the bait down before they get a chance to feel any resistance,99% of the time at least.lob Worms are a different matter,they take that bit more time to get the whole lob down and more time is more chance for them to feel some sort of resistance.i fish a pond where the slightest thing out of place and they will drop the bait,so I have to be super careful in my set up.i learnt that a basic running rig is by far the simplest and most efficient set up for big perch,but it wasn’t that simple to start with.i found a bomb weight to be the best because the way it drops in the water meant the eye would be sitting up,meaning there was little chance of the line being jammed between the eye and the lake bed(every bit counts towards minimal resistance).the bomb also has to be heavy enough so the fish doesn’t topple it during the take,so heavier rather than lighter.
Even the bead has to be right.i use a rubber stop bead that can be stuck over the knot on the line at the swivel,a swivel with elongated eyes for moving through the weed easier.due to all this I can also get away with a short hook link.
Try to find a calm area of water,perch like these areas and it allows the use of a very light bobbin that can have a good foot of drop without a wind affecting it and by the time the fish pulls the bobbin up to the rod you can be sure it has the worm down.this also allows you to use a whole lob hooked near the head.
Finally,the closer you can cast to the bank the better,meaning all the cogs on the wheel will work better,especially as the rod will be pointing directly at the weight.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think it may depend very much upon whether you will be fishing a river, stillwater or a canal! Details found in the "Perchfishers" book - "The biggest Fish of All" would furnish you with more ideas than you could use in a season!

First is location, location, etc. In Hants you have some excellent running and stillwaters. Commercials with loads of silvers can hold big fish.

Old ceramic rod ring inserts used for catfishing are probably the best, small cork balls (for lifting boilies) are also available to lift the running paternoster rig off the bottom, air injected worms lift above the bottom, ----- and so it goes on.

Are you looking for a 3 or a 4 or even a 5? Make your target realistic - and just up your expectations as time progresses.

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

Thanks guys for some very informative replies.,Much appreciated. Looking forward now to doing battle with old Stripey. 👍

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”