air injected lobworm

This forum is for discussing perch.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: air injected lobworm

Post by Marc »

It seems I'm not the only softy here... :Chuckle:

I'd like to stress I don't condemn the practice, or live baiting for that matter, all valid ways of catching fish; I'm just as soft as clarts.... :Hide:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No, don't get me wrong I'm not against what other people do, it's just I can't bring myself to do it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

All vegetarians then?

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Julian wrote:
Its something I would like to try, but I have always shyed away from doing it because there is a serious risk when you use the syringe . If you actually slipped and injected just a tiny bit of air into yourself then that's it - the end - of everything.
So long as it's only a couple of ml. of air it wouldn't cause any real harm especially if it went into tissue (rather than directly into a vein). To be safe always use a small syringe to ensure you can't inject too much, after all you are only trying to make the worm float up, not look like a balloon!

I think you would be at far more risk of infection than an air embolism from a small syringe and needle.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I have been reliably informed that you would need to inject approximately 20mls of air directly into a vein to cause a fatality. By using a 5ml syringe you can avoid disaster. I would have thought that pricking yourself with a needle would hurt so you wouldn't continue to inject air? Never wounded myself in that way (except with hooks) Ouch!!

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

JerryC wrote:Rather than injecting worms I prefer to use them on a drop shot type setup where they may be fished at whatever depth one requires.

Hear hear - a method I have been using quite a lot of late. It is huge fun to use and having had a pb perch of 3-10 the other week on 'the walking worm' (copyright Des Taylor I think) I intend to use it some more :Wink:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve had some good results with chub, injecting smaller lobs, then letting them float/drift under the overhanging branches. As for injecting oneself, I always injected away from myself, holding worm down with forceps, never had the slightest problem. I`d also second drop shotting.....

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

I use the method a lot, usually with the line hard on the bottom and the worm popped up; the depth determined by split shot on the hook trace. Over here they sell a thing called a “Worm Blower” it is just a soft plastic bottle with a large gauge needle fitted to the open end. You can also inflate pinkie mice and frogs, fished popped up on a weed line they often bring me big eels.
My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'd not thought of inflating rubber lures Jon, but I can see how they could be highly effective on at least one of the waters I fish. Top tip mate :Thumb:

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

This is the style worm blower we use over here. Getting caught with a medical syringe would likely get you jailed for possession of drug paraphernalia so these are our standard.
My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”