Loch lomond

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

Loch lomond

Post by Ian »

Started slow with only one roach,weather was wet and wild.nearer the end of the day I got a few more roach,a roachbreamx and my mate rab got a salmon about 5lb on a ledgered sprat,ha,what next.heres a few photos of Lomond and can anyone guess the fish in the pic

Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Scott
Tench

Re: Loch lomond

Post by Scott »

The fish is a Powen or Schelley as they are known here in Cumbria. Nice part of the world there. Fished some of the hill lochans in the past. Love that pub to the north as well, The Drover's Inn...

Thanks for showing us... :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Splendid, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I would really like to see some pictures of the Lomond roach, how big do they grow?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done Ian, what a place! Nice pictures :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

That's a new one to me"schelley",that sounds better than powan,I keep getting mixed up with powting.this area is balmaha bay.looking straight out from the pier the water goes from 40-50ft up to 10-15ft right to left.the shallow area goes further along the shore(south)to where the river endrick runs in.the area is known as the endrick bank as ive explained to Paul d.there is a vast expanse of water 3ft deep.the pike guys wade out 70-80yds then the sand bank slopes off into deeper water.they cast in then walk all the way back,more often than not,getting runs before they reach shore.the roach run this area to spawn in the river endrick and that's perfect timing for the pike who want to feed up after spawning.a bit like the plains of Africa only under water.the roach weren't there in numbers yesterday,must still be early yet,guess I'm impatient ha,but when they appear they are in spectacularly huge shoals and they can be peas in a pod.catch one 1lbr and you can catch god knows how many.theres very big pike and the perch aren't bad either with 7lbrs been caught back in the early 1900s.24 miles long,700ft in places and full of all species.mid may til end of summer has to be the time for traditional fishermen to get to Lomond and fish balmaha,along the endrick bank to where the river Leven exits the loch.like ive said,its thee place to be.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

An evocative post Ian. I'd love to catch a powan, char or any new species from the UK. My Brooke Bond Tea Card collection even had an odd looking fish called a Houting that was supposes to inhabit some of the lochs (if memory serves). I'm in Scotland for a week in June but I doubt I'll be able to take much tackle with me, maybe next time.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Dave Burr wrote:An evocative post Ian. I'd love to catch a powan, char or any new species from the UK. My Brooke Bond Tea Card collection even had an odd looking fish called a Houting that was supposes to inhabit some of the lochs (if memory serves). I'm in Scotland for a week in June but I doubt I'll be able to take much tackle with me, maybe next time.
Why don't you just take the float tackle.june is the perfect time to get on the river endrick.not a big river,but it will be thick with roach.nice deep glides.my friend fished it and he said he had to empty his net in order to refill it,every fish a beauty and the big old pike will be with them.what would you need for that,small amount of tackle and bait.the roach fishing up here is not as technical as down south,most fish don't know what a hook is.easy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ian wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:An evocative post Ian. I'd love to catch a powan, char or any new species from the UK. My Brooke Bond Tea Card collection even had an odd looking fish called a Houting that was supposes to inhabit some of the lochs (if memory serves). I'm in Scotland for a week in June but I doubt I'll be able to take much tackle with me, maybe next time.
Why don't you just take the float tackle.june is the perfect time to get on the river endrick.not a big river,but it will be thick with roach.nice deep glides.my friend fished it and he said he had to empty his net in order to refill it,every fish a beauty and the big old pike will be with them.what would you need for that,small amount of tackle and bait.the roach fishing up here is not as technical as down south,most fish don't know what a hook is.easy

Ooh, now I'm starting to think........ If Mrs Burr can find some shops that sell cushions she should be occupied for about 10 hours....... :Chuckle:

I'm actually staying right next to Loch Awe. Any input on the fishing there Ian? I was only going to pack a spinning rod for a dabble on the coast... or maybe the loch.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Dave Burr wrote:
Ian wrote:

Ooh, now I'm starting to think........ If Mrs Burr can find some shops that sell cushions she should be occupied for about 10 hours....... :Chuckle:

I'm actually staying right next to Loch Awe. Any input on the fishing there Ian? I was only going to pack a spinning rod for a dabble on the coast... or maybe the loch.
Loch awe is a pike Mecca Dave.i know a lot of folk fish near the castle.really nice bays round about there.30lb pike are a regular occurrence.im not into pike fishing much but even I know a good looking area for pike and they don't come much better than there.the loch itself is long and narrow and the shallow bays are at one end,either south or east I'm not sure the direction the loch lies.runs deeper and narrower towards the other end.the Scottish or British record brown trout was took from awe,26lb if I remember correctly.as far as roach and perch is concerned I'm not sure.no doubt there will be perch and something in the back of my mind says I've heard someone mention roach,if there are roach then they will be virtually unfished for.big pike and big trout,brownies and ferox are the main target.john Wilson done a dream fishing episode on it and it's on utube.have a look,he loved it.mind look out for Ospreys and golden eagles.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”