Am l the only one?

This forum is for discussing roach.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Am l the only one?

Post by Olly »

The Craven below the bridge still seems to have big roach, I watch them from the bridge parapet, although there are a large number of chub as well now.

A TFF outing to Britford in September/October to try once more, although I have not caught a 2 from there myself?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Going back a year or two, Lonsdale Park fisheries near Carlisle held huge shoals of big Roach, many of which are sometimes caught by Carp anglers on 16mm boilies.
I have fished there many times in the past and have had dozens of fish in the 1.5lb to 2lb range and more than a few over 2.5lb on bread or maggots.
I haven't been since 2014 but I have no reason to suspect it isn't still like that. I really must get back there soon.
Our own TFF member Colonelgsc still goes now and again and I believe he has had a few nice roach from there too.

Wal.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It is rare for a 2lb roach to be a lucky capture in my opinion, so if someone wants to catch one then it really does have to be a very conscious decision and with that comes a heavy commitment. You can't just go after them two or three times a season and expect to get one. So, chasing such a fish is not everyone's cup of tea.

But if you desperately want to achieve that goal then the first thing you have to decide is whether it is any two pound roach, or a river two pounder. The latter being a considerably more challenging target primarily because of the combination of our deteriorating rivers (see the recent damning reports on deteriorating chalkstream fly life) and predation (predominantly cormorants).

If you want a river two pounder my advice would be to focus on the Hampshire stretches that have got keepers looking out for them. It's no coincidence that Britford holds a head of big roach with Stuart looking out for them! But the Test and Itchen also hold plenty of two pounders and if you are prepared to pay the money you can get access. Such a campaign needs to start in the summer. Spend time walking the stretch in low water and understand where the bars, deeper runs and drop offs are. Come winter look for a steady run or crease of walking pace. Big roach don't like rubbish coming at them and they don't like water moving about in different directions so steer clear of that nice eddy collecting old leaves and detritus. If you pull in weed or rubbish on your hook then move your cast or move your swim.

Start fishing seriously in November but the best time is after the second spell of severe frost and the second good flood. Then the weed should be gone. Fish maggots by all means (red if it's gin clear, white if there is a little colour) but most big roach like a lump of flake...

If you are going to quiver tip you will be wasting your time, in my opinion, if you don't have a soft enough tip. They have a great ability to bang a rod tip or stiff quivertip and not get hooked!

There are plenty of stillwaters now with two pound roach. You'll have to be prepared to compete with the carpers. This needs research and I would say, if you really want a two, don't waste time in places where you think there might be a two - you need to fish where you know they are there. Cold frosty days can be very good, hunting out the slightly deeper water and fishing maggot, flake or caster. However the most successful approach is the fixed maggot feeder acting as a bolt rig. Not very traditional but at least you can fish a cane rod if you want to (not so easy when you are quivertipping if you want to do so effectively).

In short, fish where you are certain they exist. Put every effort that you possibly can into your preparation; venue, swim, tackle and bait. Then you are just going to have to fish and fish and fish until you get one.

This isn't everyone's cup of tea to work that hard at it (and that's just fine). I don't have the time or inclination for this approach these days but I did once (and I did get a few big ones!) :fish:

Good luck to anyone who tries; there is no fish like a two pound roach! Oh and get a copy of Mark Wintle's two books, Mark Everard's books, John Bailey's Roach the Gentle Giants and John Searl's books (RIP Sir). After you've stared at the pages dripping with two and three pounders, you'll have all the inspiration you'll need!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

2lb Roach are not so easy to find these days. I have caught several in the past but non in recent years. I have found, by luck, that my local venue must hold some. The luck came when bream fishing when I had a fish of 1.4lb followed by one of 1lb14oz half an our later. Both bright clean fish and a 2 pounder from there is possible. I missed the best time being unable to fish last winter. In winter location is easier. If your water has depths of 20ft or more that is where you find your Roach. In still waters carp spell the end of good roach all too often and my other place to try would by the Avon, location there I understand if not easy but essentional if you want your big roach.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think the tips above a very informative - but it is impossible to catch a big, especially a 3 pound fish, because in most places they do not exist!
You will need to fish a very special place for one of those - however a youngster last year caught a 3 very early in his fishing career! Right place at the right time.

Other species have been claimed as 2 pound roach - even 4lb roach! Mostly misidentification - roach/bream hybrid, roach/rudd hybrid and Ide being amongst them.

Most of the waters I knew that held big roach no longer do so, the London Reservoirs being one and the Avon with greatly reduced numbers in small sections of the river. Stillwater big roach pop up in some of the strangest places so there is always a chance.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I've had one. I was shotting up after plumbing the depth and had no bait on the hook. I wondered why the float hadn't come back up after the cast and started reeling in only to find hard resistance. Landed it, weighed it and took a picture on my phone, unfortunately this was in the days of clamshell phones when you had to press save and in my euphoria I closed the phone deleting the image forever, leaving me with only a memory and this fishermans tale. It was fin perfect and the most amazing silver I've seen before or since.

Not had one much over a pound since.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Pop down to the Counts on the river just above Prebends Bridge, far bank swim I have been told does have them! Feeder or waggler needed!

Mitchell324
Bleak

Post by Mitchell324 »

I fished the Tweed and the Till in the glory days of the early 1970s, and while others filled their nets with 2lb + roach, I'm still stuck at 1lb 14oz caught in 1975 on the Till at Ford. However there are a couple of lochs in Dumfrieshire, that are gaining a reputation for regular specimen catches. :Thumb:
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I've been fortunate to catch one of these beauties at 2lb 4oz
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Behind you is one reason/possibility that they are there! The clarity of a chalk stream! Beautiful fish!! - The angler - hmm - lucky man!!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”