lochnaw

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

Re: lochnaw

Post by Ian »

I meant to ask,will a batch of stewed wheat last for 4 days if i make it before i go?
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Unlikely, it will ferment into gooeey beer. Take dried wheat and a flask!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It'll keep several days in a fridge, or outside in the current weather conditions; it also freezes well, so just pop some, frozen in bags, into a cool-box and it'll take ages to get up to a fermentable temperature.

If you want to show them something they (probably) haven't seen before, and can be brewed up on the day, try pearl barley. Just simmer it in half milk, half water for about 45 minutes. Nibble a few grains every ten minutes or so - you'll know when it's cooked right. Even cheaper than wheat! I confess I've only tried it once, but I was soon picking up fish, and a three-pound chub put the seal of approval on a nice, short session.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have to say that I am quite jealous of your planned trip! :mrgreen:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You're not alone, Santiago.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Vole wrote:It'll keep several days in a fridge, or outside in the current weather conditions; it also freezes well, so just pop some, frozen in bags, into a cool-box and it'll take ages to get up to a fermentable temperature.

If you want to show them something they (probably) haven't seen before, and can be brewed up on the day, try pearl barley. Just simmer it in half milk, half water for about 45 minutes. Nibble a few grains every ten minutes or so - you'll know when it's cooked right. Even cheaper than wheat! I confess I've only tried it once, but I was soon picking up fish, and a three-pound chub put the seal of approval on a nice, short session.
I will need to invest in some cool bags vole.i know there will be a fridge in the lodge but there are four of us going so cant see it being that big and no doubt a couple of them will take maggots and lots.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

im really looking forward to it and hopefully wont be disappointed,its a once in a life time opportunity to catch a roach of a life time and i want my best chance,thats why ive put it up on the forum,to get the best input from all the experienced anglers on here and so far we have made the final decision on feed.so its wheat,hemp,corn and bread.thats feed and hookbait sorted.i will write it down and follow it to the letter.next thing i have to do is work out a plan of attack so the next question is how to go about feeding e.g would i be better feeding one,two or even three swims.i was thinking of just one and sticking to it,what would be your preference?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You know more about roach than I do, I've read some of your pieces in awe.
My only "campaign" spanned ten Wednesday evenings at a London reservoir one autumn back in the eighties; old maps showed the loops in the old stream bed, and I lightly baited a couple of spots where it came close to the bank, just to make them worth the roach's while to check them on their travels. It all paid off on the last day, with four fish to 1-15 and 2-0-8, then winter set in good and proper (wonder if that's why they fed well? all the other trips were one, two or no fish). I wouldn't know how much to feed in Lochnaw, too little and they won't bother; too much and you'll fill them up or worse... are there any bream?
I used the old Emstat frame feeders, and mixed up two batches of groundbait, a stiffish one with quite a bit of white crumb, and a slop of mashed bread and maybe a bit of brown crumb, loading the feeders with a core of the first, to slowly spread around the bait, and an outer skin of the second, to fall off as the feeder splashed down and sank, carrying the flavour away on the drift... no idea to what extent it worked, of course!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I've just been given Mark Wintle's book "Big Roach 2" and taking a few dips last night, saw there is quite a lot about Lochnaw.
Some of the photos are ... well, "staggering" isn't in it, it's a good job I was sitting in bed at the time.
Grab a copy if you haven't already done so, it can hardly be anything but an investment.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Vole wrote:I've just been given Mark Wintle's book "Big Roach 2" and taking a few dips last night, saw there is quite a lot about Lochnaw.
Some of the photos are ... well, "staggering" isn't in it, it's a good job I was sitting in bed at the time.
Grab a copy if you haven't already done so, it can hardly be anything but an investment.
Cheers vole,i am going to look into that mate,cheers for putting me onto that.i just hope i can get it.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”