lochnaw

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

lochnaw

Post by Ian »

i previously mentioned on the general coarse fishing chat that four of us are going on a weeks fishing trip to lochnaw.this is my first time trying this venue,though the other three were there last year in september.they didnt fair well and only caught small stuff.lochnaw is famous for producing roach to specimen proportions with 2s and 3s being regularly caught and bigger roach nearing 4lb being a possability.this is a natural water and these fish will be the opitamy of sly.the price isnt cheap and we want to make the most it.were it yourselves,what time of year would you choose to try for a chance to fish for them at their optimum weight,what baits would you choose and what methods.this is a night water so we will be fishing all night.do you think a bait and wait approach or feeder approach.all advice appreciated
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: lochnaw

Post by Penninelad »

Lobworms,red worms and brandlings.You do not have to go to Scotland or southern chalk streams to catch 2lb'ers as TFF members in the South Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire area are well aware.
Mark Davies

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

There is information online for those big roach, and boilies seem to be the key, these may help, have fun and screaming !! reels

http://www.dynamitebaits.com/news/2013/ ... hnaw-roach

https://www.facebook.com/Lochnaw-Castle ... 284396344/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Do you subscribe to Classic Angling? I say that because the editor, Keith Elliott, spent some time there and caught a three pounder.

Keith is a very well known match angler from decades gone by, has travelled the world seeking extraordinary fish, and is very much a friend of the traditional angling scene.

When he fished Lochnaw he was determined to do it in a more traditional style and I believe he caught his fish on the float. You won't meet a better all round angler and I'd be certain he'd share some time over the phone with you in return for a year's subscription! Good luck.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Penninelad wrote:Lobworms,red worms and brandlings.You do not have to go to Scotland or southern chalk streams to catch 2lb'ers as TFF members in the South Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire area are well aware.
Never thought of lobs,would that be chunks or would a big roach take a full one?

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Tengisgol wrote:Do you subscribe to Classic Angling? I say that because the editor, Keith Elliott, spent some time there and caught a three pounder.

Keith is a very well known match angler from decades gone by, has travelled the world seeking extraordinary fish, and is very much a friend of the traditional angling scene.

When he fished Lochnaw he was determined to do it in a more traditional style and I believe he caught his fish on the float. You won't meet a better all round angler and I'd be certain he'd share some time over the phone with you in return for a year's subscription! Good luck.
Cheers tengisgol,i should look into that.i might get some good pointers off there.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I would fish either in July or September. But I wouldn't use lobs unless I wanted to catch eels. I would be inclined to use sweetcorn quiver tipped over a bed of corn/hemp mix in a fairly deep near bank swim. Bread might also be worth taking.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Santiago wrote:I would fish either in July or September. But I wouldn't use lobs unless I wanted to catch eels. I would be inclined to use sweetcorn quiver tipped over a bed of corn/hemp mix in a fairly deep near bank swim. Bread might also be worth taking.
Bread is a definit for me santiago.i fished it during a night session before and it was bite after bite but they seemed to be playing with it,sounds ridiculous but the bobbin was shooting up and down constantly and i was missing them.stewed wheat is meant to be good but i dont know the first thing about it.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Try using wet bread. If you're not sure what it is then refer to LA Parker's book, 'How to Catch Them, Roach '. But you can't cast wet bread easily, so you'll be restricted to margin fishing. It's wet crust from a cottage loaf, if memory serves, and pre-soaked for several hours before hooking and it's rather delicate, but bites are extremely confident. I tried it this summer and hit every bite. Otherwise, try a longer hooklink with normal bread flake.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Wheat - Cheap and wonderful, but it can fill them up a bit. Just wheat from the pet-food store (in ememrgencies, health-food shops sell it as "Wheat Berry" (idiots) at about five times the price (hmm, maybe not that stupid...).
Soak it for 24 hours.
Drain it, cover the container with a damp cloth and leave it for another 24 hours.
Transfer to water and boil till some of the grains split their little brown jackets and the others are cooked but still al dente. Try both sorts for hookbait.
Taditionally, gilt hooks were used, but it hardly matters at night, and I don't know of a decent gilt hook at the mo.
The boiling-water can be used to make up the groundbait, if used - bread and bran, natch!
Try it on your local roach first, if time permits, to get confident with it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”