Rain still doesn't stop play

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

Rain still doesn't stop play

Post by Ian »

Rab and I went up to our local quarry pond on Sunday and when we got there we quickly set up and got under the brollys,it wasn't raining but rain was forecast early on up til late in the day.sure as a pigs bums pork the rain came on around 9am and I mean rain and it was relentless til 12pm.we got a few bites in that time but only caught 2 small fish.seemingly the rain was supposed to get impossibly heavier in the afternoon and it did.the spot I was fishing from soon became a puddle and it was a nightmare even stepping out from my humble shelter to move camp.the fishing never got any more exciting with only another 2 small fish landed.the third stage of rain came around 3pm and this was monsoon stuff but luckily only lasted 20mins and then,finally after getting a battering by relentless heavy rain for a solid 6hrs it went off but only to be replaced by 53mph winds,haha.i can't remember fishing in weather this bad for a very long time.come on spring
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Rain still doesn't stop play

Post by RBTraditional »

As the saying goes " he who dares Rodders, he who dares my son"......well done for the effort...top man!!!
Last edited by RBTraditional on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Good on you for sticking it out
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done for sticking at it, I would have gone home :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Paul D wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:59 pm Well done for sticking at it, I would have gone home :Hat:
....Or just maybe to the pub?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Ian.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Weather was shocking but better yesterday.we took a drive down to sundries to fish a place called mill Loch.i had been wanting to fish this place for a couple of years now after hearing about the bream fishing and how good it is.when we got there we got chatting to a guy who lives near by and has fished it three days a week since xmas and he said he hadn't saw a bream,haha typical.the sun gods were smiling on us and they must have took pity after last weeks deluge.i set up the tip and also a ledger and fished about 25yds out.this Loch goes to 50ft deep and averages 20ft at 20yds,quite peculiar as it's relatively a small loch no more than a half mile square.a flat calm,bright and warm we fished for a few hours with not as much as a pluck.we spotted a few big fish out in the middle,much too far to reach and my bream hoodoo continued.ive caught most British freshwater species but for some mad reason I just can't get a decent day for bream.ive sat with guys catching them on my left and right but I don't have the luck.anyway I decided to try this helicopter rig I keep hearing about as it's seemingly good for distance casting and doesn't twist or fankle up and I must admit it really works,I'm not one for fancy rigs and always keep things simple but if something is designed for a reason and it works then it's got to be beneficial.i managed to put it out 80-90yds without a problem and the good thing is it's self hooking as I found out after spotting my bobbin lifting and me taking an age to get to the rod.the roach was around 9oz and welcome after such a long wait,a worm and red maggot being the fishes downfall.the weather remained the same all day but we did start to get a few bites on the tip.roach are fussy feeders and only 3 red maggots on the hook or 2 casters and a red maggot were drawing their attention.the day wore on and we managed 4 roach all around 8-9oz.i must admit I really enjoyed fishing this water as it just seems a good size and in an idyllic village setting.as far as bream are concerned I must be due a purple patch.yesterday was a little taste of spring and it was great so roll on summer.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul D wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:59 pm Well done for sticking at it, I would have gone home :Hat:
I wasn't moving from under that brolly Paul,we were trapped haha

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”