White loch

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

White loch

Post by Ian »

I’ve been working down croydon for a while now and as anyone on here who stays in the London area knows,it’s been blooming hot hot hot and dry dry dry.
I did manage a days fishing at Kingston on Thames that was a great day out,but not too good for fishing,no wonder given the conditions this year.
I am now back home in a wet and windy north lanarkshire,oh how good it was to see the thermometer sitting at 7 degrees yesterday morning on our drive up to the white loch,it was windy too,37mph,but it’s never too windy for roach fishing and the big rolling waves and wind lines on the loch looked perfect for a spot of feeder fishing.
I don’t think Rab and I have went so long without fishing on our home turf and the excitement was too much,we could have done with another four hands to help us set the gear up,that’s how desperate we were to get a line in the water.
We did eventually get things in order and when that first cast of the feeder hit the water those weeks of absence just washed away with the feed.now for the big question,would the fishing have improved any with the change of weather?we would have to wait and see.
Rab got straight into a roach on his first cast,it looked a nice one of about 10oz and on his second cast he upped the anti with a cracker that went somewhere in the region of 1lb3-1lb6.
I on the other hand was fighting my own battle against tiny little knocks on the tip and after a few misses I eventually caught the culprit,a very small perch that was probably the size of my thumb ha,but i know this water well enough to know that the next fish could be a monster and I almost proved myself right on the next cast because I got a very slow and deliberate pull on the tip,so slow that I could have had a tea break and still struck by the time it took to wrap right round,but I missed it.i actually missed it three times in a row before it moved on.i sat for a while trying to figure out what it could have been and hoping it would come back,but it didn’t.i think it could only have been a big seargent,because what else has a mouth so big that a size 12 doesn’t even touch the sides haha.
After that bit of excitement things went quiet with only the odd small roach coming our way.i actually felt sorry for Rab because he had to nice fish in his first two casts then not much else,how can this happen on what appeared to be a perfect day,well I found the answer to that one and it came in the form of a sharp toothed leviathan as something heavy grabbed on to what I thought was another small perch I had hooked,but after a good battle it let go and I couldn’t believe my eyes as the remains of a good roach came springing out the water,it was almost clean halved in two.we never saw the pike but I know it was big,very big.
Darkness was now setting in and with that it was time to head for home,talking on the way about how big that pike must have been,if only I hooked what was causing those slow pulls and of course rabs big roach.
So had the fishing improved,not at all,it’s always that good.
6F337D59-1E7E-42B9-B552-A2D8E324061C.jpeg
A00CBA9F-2307-40C7-92BD-2A941C66C28C.jpeg
E774AF42-1A9E-4EBE-889E-0DFD94BC6257.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ian on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: White loch

Post by Dave Burr »

A trip of 'what if's', but they are the one's that make us go back. Nice tale.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am A trip of 'what if's', but they are the one's that make us go back. Nice tale.
Your right Dave.who wants to catch the big ones,our dreams would be in tatters
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Lovey looking roach!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”