"how to..."

This forum is for discussing roach.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: "how to..."

Post by Santiago »

Give us a clue as to what you think the prettiest fish in the UK is!!!! Then we might be able to help advise on how to catch one!!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Bigfish wrote:Give us a clue as to what you think the prettiest fish in the UK is!!!! Then we might be able to help advise on how to catch one!!!!

It's in the roach thread...
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

So it is!!! I was just skip reading 'active topics' and failed to notice!!

In that case you'll need advice on where to locate them. In rivers they tend to shoal up in slacks. Why not try boiled wheat in hemp!!!!

Hemingway

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Roach are the prettiest freshwater fish that swims in British waters, with ChalkStream Roach prettier still.

Location is the problem with this most shy of fish, especially in our rivers. The Kennet used to be very interesting but has become very 'pockety' with regard to specimens worthy of Cane. Any river roach over 1 lb is worthy nowadays, they really are.

The Thames is a shadow of the river it used to be with regard to Roach, so much so, I rarely bother to fish it anymore. Such a shame as it was very good a few years ago around Windsor.

The Hampshire Avon can be extremely disappointing but if you have time can still produce the size of Roach in my dreams but again, due to loss of habitat and predation of an unprecedented scale, is not the river it was. The same can be said of the Stour.

If you can get to somewhere like Timsbury, on the Test, it is a day ticket water, there is a chance if you are 'guided' on to the fish, that a result beyond imagination could still be possible. The same applies to the Itchen but realistically location and time really are the keys to success here.

If you find them keep quiet about location because if you let slip where they are, I'm afraid the 'circus' will descend like Carrion Crows until the stretch is fished out. Sadly there are too many selfish anglers out there, desparate to make a name for themselves at the expense of the pioneers, who do all the 'spade work' for them!

I have learned the hard way not to give away any prime locations that I know about, as those who are quietly going about their business will not thank me!

So I apologise for not being more specific with locations.

As for bait, that I can be specific with. At this time of year BREAD in all of its glorious forms: flake, crust, paste, wet bread and Golden Crust are the easiest way to catch Roach. Maggots can work well on certain days, so always have a supply as stand by but bread seems to 'weed' out the stamp of fish that interest me.

There will be some who make a stand with caster and a fine bait they are. However, they are expensive and really only keep for a day or two before they 'go off' as far as the Roach are concerned; then they are only fit for Chub!

I like Chub but not nearly as much as Roach. I only really fish for them when the glorious Redfins don't want to play!

Finally always take TEA and CAKE whilst after Roach, as this restores the inner fisherman, giving you the fortitude to fish on in times of adversity. Believe me when I say, the pursuit of big Roach has broken the will of many who have tried, mostly in vain, to catch them.

TEA and CAKE help provide the determination you need for success!

The only draw back with taking such sumptuous provender is that you will become fatter over the years, as you need to eat an awful lot of CAKE and drink gallons of TEA to keep up the impetus to carry on, in all weathers and increasing adversity in your single-minded pursuit of the finest fish that swims!

This is why I am The Fat Mole!

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Moley wrote:Roach are the prettiest freshwater fish that swims in British waters, with ChalkStream Roach prettier still.

Location is the problem with this most shy of fish, especially in our rivers.

The Thames is a shadow of the river it used to be with regard to Roach, so much so, I rarely bother to fish it anymore. Such a shame as it was very good a few years ago around Windsor.
Agreed. There was some very good roach fishing for many miles upstream of Windsor. Luckily the dace, absent for many years are showing signs for recovery.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Moley wrote:The Thames is a shadow of the river it used to be with regard to Roach, so much so, I rarely bother to fish it anymore. Such a shame as it was very good a few years ago around Windsor.
What? Kenneth Grahame must be turning in his grave, hearing Moley speak in such a way of HIS river, THE river! So what's all this about a roach bonanza, then?

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events ... nanza.html

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

There are lots of roach in the Thames this year!!! Strange though, using the same technique in the same swims I hardly caught any over the last few years, since the summer flood of 2007!!!! But nothing special!! But I've heard the specimens are to be found in one or two weir pools nearer Oxford!!

Hemingway

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

If that is truly the case and not some EA mistaken belief....then great news!

Oxford is a little far from The Fortress and I can say in my part of the Thames, it is not what it was with regard to Redfins of a size that get me excited. But I shall keep a watchful eye on the situation, as I always do!

Have I mentioned before my profound love of Big Roach?

I like small Roach as well because given time and being left alone, they grow into.......BIG ROACH!!!

I do so hope this is not a false dawn, like so many other predictions from the 'Experts'.

Let's hope the Thames really can show us what a great Roach River it can be once more and forever, thinking about it!

Tea, Cake and Roach are the greatest fishing combination I know of!!!

Say aye tae'a pie!

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Question is Moley........Have you ever caught one of the little beauties( Roach) on a slice of batenberg? :o

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Generally John the Roach, as much as I love them, don't get a look in when I'm on the Cake!

Having said that, they do like a nice Fruit Cake and yes I have caught them on cake, admittedly the crumbs left in the tin I use.

Battenberg is generally too small for me to spare on Roach.....sorry Roach!

I'm sure if you want to use cake for Roach then do so but as far as I am concerned Cake is for Fat Moles!!!

Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”