Just a very large roach!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Just a very large roach!

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mick B wrote:I've had my wrist slapped when expressing my opinion of carp so all I'll say is its a nice little fish cru/hybrid or whatever I'd be very happy to catch it.

Funny how the weight of the Lump is known, and in pounds not kilograms or the usual centimetres.??

Please post the reference of the Roach photograph and I will run it to ground and find out its weight/ length or whatever, plus anything other information that is available.
Hi Mick B, I just happened to know what the weight of Andy Chambers (he's English) common was, it doesn't have a weight at the side of it in the magazine.

Both fish are in Februari/Maart 2013 (February/March 2013 - I understand that bit) INTERNATIONAAL KARPERMAGAZINE karper. The 'red fin' is on page 8.

Wondered what response I would get putting that big long common on here :laugh: glad I did as it has stirred lots of replies :Thumb:

The roach/rudd whatever simply stopped me in my tracks as I flicked the pages to see how they had put my piece together. Fish pictures don't generally do that to me these days so I decided to share.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Back to the Roach

Good looking fish. Using a screen ruler I estimate that the fish is 9 times the length of the second section of the angler's left hand first finger. Assuming he is average that makes the fish 11-12 inches so probably not 2lb, as if we care!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

JAA wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:
Plot36 wrote:something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .
Andy is quite slim and it is 71lb!
Mark wrote:Give me a ten pound wildie any day. :Wink:
Give me a double figure wildie to target or any wildie for that matter in my area. I was lucky enough to land one in 1984 although to be fair it looked like it was carrying spawn so not a true wildie. I also had a couple just under double figures but sadly the water was stocked with mirrors and the wildies fast disapeared. I went back after around 10 years caught a lot of carp but none of those originals.

The oldest carp I caught last year and one that probably had the longest history was I guess this one from Woldale. Not a wildie by any means but a very old looking fish indeed that has no doubt share the area with some very traditional anglers over the years.

It's a nice looking fish, but it looks look like a 'mostly carp', crucian hybrid or even a goldfish to me.

I was also thinking it looks very much more crucian than common- no barbules on it are there?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Deaf Cat wrote:Back to the Roach

Good looking fish. Using a screen ruler I estimate that the fish is 9 times the length of the second section of the angler's left hand first finger. Assuming he is average that makes the fish 11-12 inches so probably not 2lb, as if we care!
I would say it definitely appears a lot larger than 2lbs.
There have been a number of roach from Germany in the angling press over recent years that definitle are the perfect classic roach and weigh over 5lbs.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There were four barbules, it was something I checked after landing it as it looked 'different' it certainly had a proper Cyprinus Carpio dorsal. A very, very old fish and one that perhaps Maurice Ingham once caught. That was what was on my mind after I landed both my carp on that first invite to a wonderful place that is certainly lost in time.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

GazTheAngler wrote:Nice Roach and I love the Carp with Cardinal, though i think there's a bit of Cru of goldfish in it too.

I'm with Mark on the big carp, nice but not really my cup of Earl Grey.

Gaz

Same for me - big overfed lumps caught ( often) in foreign waters, almost invariably using modern tackle on pods with bite alarms, mostly fished at long range, and the lack of any simple/traditional presentation -ie modern rigs with heavy leads, and hair rigged boilies do nothing for me.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”