Just a very large roach!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Just a very large roach!

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I am fortunate to have my written work published in several different countries and have just received the latest edition of 'Karper'.

I flicked through to check my bit (I don't know why as I don't speak Dutch - well perhaps double Dutch) and saw this massive roach caught from the Orient in France.

Okay, not the best looking roach in the world but the size of it stopped me in my tracks so I thought I would share it. I don't think I gave any of the monstrous carp a second glance really other than perhaps this...

That would make some ones cane creak!

Plot36
Roach

Re: Just a very large roach!

Post by Plot36 »

something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Plot36 wrote:something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .
Give me a ten pound wildie any day.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Good grief , what a clonking redfin .... What was its weight?.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Shaun, :Hat:

..certainly nice fish, but then any fish held at arms length towards the camera looks enormous! The only problem is that it's then nigh on impossible to "guesstimate" any weight!

Not a good way of photographing any capture in my book.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Plot36 wrote:something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .
Andy is quite slim and it is 71lb!
Mark wrote:Give me a ten pound wildie any day. :Wink:
Give me a double figure wildie to target or any wildie for that matter in my area. I was lucky enough to land one in 1984 although to be fair it looked like it was carrying spawn so not a true wildie. I also had a couple just under double figures but sadly the water was stocked with mirrors and the wildies fast disapeared. I went back after around 10 years caught a lot of carp but none of those originals.

The oldest carp I caught last year and one that probably had the longest history was I guess this one from Woldale. Not a wildie by any means but a very old looking fish indeed that has no doubt share the area with some very traditional anglers over the years.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Now I do like that one Shaun. :Thumb:

I'm afraid those big carp really do nothing at all for me.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

CWK wrote:Good grief , what a clonking redfin .... What was its weight?.
Sorry, I don't understand Dutch and can't see any weights on the page that look like roach weights.
Maggot's Dad wrote:Hi Shaun, :Hat:

..certainly nice fish, but then any fish held at arms length towards the camera looks enormous! The only problem is that it's then nigh on impossible to "guesstimate" any weight!

Not a good way of photographing any capture in my book.
The common that Andy Chambers is holding weighed over 71lb (can't remember the ounces) and is currently the largest known common in the Orient. Interesting how we are now seeing quite a lot of big commons cropping up with several larger than the one Andy is holding in different waters (and countries). I picked out the Orient fish as to me it looks like one hell of a fighter and carries such a massive frame.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mark wrote:Now I do like that one Shaun. :Thumb:

I'm afraid those big carp really do nothing at all for me.
Very much each to their own. I appreciate them all for differing reasons. I listed that small old common in an interview recently as being one of my most important captures in 2012. Most outside of this forum would never understand that comment who saw some of the other captures I made over the year.

I make my living from the sport and have done for over 30 years so treat it all with the relevant respect and indeed participate in most sides of it, but anyone who angles with me or knows me well will know I am at my happiest somewhere out of the way fishing for anything so long as the venue is somewhere I really want to be and that is usually a water with fish of a size that wont interest most other anglers.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Shaun Harrison wrote:The common that Andy Chambers is holding weighed over 71lb (can't remember the ounces) and is currently the largest known common in the Orient. Interesting how we are now seeing quite a lot of big commons cropping up with several larger than the one Andy is holding in different waters (and countries). I picked out the Orient fish as to me it looks like one hell of a fighter and carries such a massive frame.

:Hat:
I certainly do admit that it is a magnificent fish. At that weight I would say that he must be in the squat position with his elbows supported on his knees. It is one very big lump, but cameras always distort the image unless the fish is held close to the body. I would much prefer to see that sort of image, then it would really make more people look!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”