Red and Gold

This forum is for discussing rudd.
GazTheAngler

Re: Red and Gold

Post by GazTheAngler »

I think you'll find its the affliction of the modern age.

Everything has to be instant. Most youngsters don't start fishing like we used to, 6 ft glass rod, small Rudd, Roach ,Perch Gudgeon. They see the Angling press full of obese boilly fed king carp and give it a go because their mates say its great.

They buy full set ups go to carp puddles and haul out fish on 15lb line and size 2 hooks! they are disappointed if their first fish is not a 20 and also if they dont catch one every time they fish.

I first wanted to fish because, A/ Jack Hargreaves did it on out of town and it looked great and B/ when visiting the place in Wales where my mum was evacuated to I could catch minnows and sticle backs in the brook with my bear hands.

The 50' (not that I personally know) 60's (born then) 70's and even early 80's were a quieter time.

Gaz

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

I dont know of any locations "Down South" with rudd but I know of a certain drain in south lincolnshire that produces some big fish that have gone a little over three pounds.
Another one in yorkshire that I have had one of 2lbs 8oz and one- again in Lincolnshire - that as some really big ones residing in but is a very private water . Towards the east coast of the county there are several lakes and ponds that turn up the odd big fish to holiday anglers.
I was fly fishing a Notts water with a friend recantly and he had a nice rudd on fly, not in the big leaque but as an example of its kind it was stunning! :)

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Julian wrote:In North Bucks, Bedfordshire and parts of Cambridgeshire there are a lot of claypits
which mostly were originally dug by the London Brick Company.
Some of these are a few acres and some up to 200 acres or more. Their common characteristics are
that most of them are deep - 20 feet to 70 feet or even more, have very gin-clear water which looks very blue whenever the sun is shining, and have rich weed growth to considerable depths.
This tends to give high quality water - ideal for rudd - and a lot of these pits are or were renowned for having some very large rudd. Some of them also have a low number of very large old carp in them.
These pits are usually rated as as difficult fisheries - partly because of depth and size, and over the years quite a number have been lost to angling, but if you are serious about wanting to catch big rudd then I suspect some of these really do still have some exceptioal sizes rudd in them. Some of them are still on club permits.
The ones that come to mind fairly local to me are those on the Bucks/Beds border which are controlled by Ampthill angling club - one of theirs is Brogborough pit - its 240 acres, and anotherof theirs is Marston Pit about 7 acres.
That brings back memories i used to fish Broggy pit when coming home on leave in the early 80s and the Rudd fishing was outstanding.Nothing truly massive but pound to pound and a half fish were relatively common.My father and myself reckoned that the bigger Rudd lived in another London Brick Company pit namely Stewartby pit.This if i remember correctly was even bigger than Brogborough and the shoals could take some tracking down as not all the pit was open to anglers.However the average size was far higher certainly we had our share of two pounders.

Also in this locality are the infamous Elstow pits where Matt Hayes had is remarkable haul of Rudd that one him the Drennan Cup a few years back.Probulary my favourite water Rudd water though in Beds was Southill Park a glorious old estate lake more famous for its tench fishing but it held at the time when i fished there some cracking Rudd.Saved many a blank when the tench were not playing ball.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

I don't often buy IYCF usually but this month I saw the frontispiece picture and had to buy. The accompanying article is also of interest and relevant to this discussion. Who would have thought the River Cam contained Rudd of the two/three pound class?

I like Rudd, I often catch them when flyfishing on some local ponds. You have to be quick on the strike though. They really are the most beautiful fish. I used to catch them in River Valley Lake in Hants/Surrey borderland. They used to grow very large in this water, attracting the likes of Terry Lampard and chums to have a go at poaching and he writes about his catches in his book.

Sadly the big ones died out due to old age and over fishing, their legacy were all eaten by the 'black plague.' They were just the right size for a good meal. They were easy targets in the clear water and their habit of staying in the upper levels of the water, did not help with survival rates!

The Rudd in Frensham, mentioned earlier on this thread, grow to a good size and can be caught by float fishing against the reeds. It is best to wade out to the ends of the reeds, so long as the water is not too deep, and cast inwards and along them. Floating maggots or bread will show you where they are and to be honest once located, are not overly hard to catch. Great fun though and such pretty fish. They really are a delight on a summers day.

I like Rudd!

Mole Power!!!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wandering Mark

Post by Wandering Mark »

I'm lucky to have two reservoirs near my house that have a very good head of Rudd. The one is about 20 mins walk away, all the Rudd are quite small but very colourful. The second is Fighting cocks reservoir which I have caught my largest Rudd of about 12oz on a worm meant for a perch.

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

More people fishing for obese carp=less people fishing on rivers=peaceful fishing where ever I want!

;-)

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Check out this beautiful fish caught recently from one of my local waters. A carp pit which is rarely pleasure fished, I'll certainly be spending a few days there throughout the summer for a chance of some of these.....

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

It seems to me that you are looking for that elusive estate lake, SK - I'm sure they still exist. Dudmaston in the Midlands has some big rudd, but I never tried for them and never caught one from there. But the lake also has roach - and so there's the nagging "hybrid" fears, even if you should get a big one; and the waiting list is huge, in any case...
aaaaarud.JPG
There are a number of rudd in "Clay Farm Pond", both silverish and golden coloured, and no roach at all. But the fish are of no great size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gary Bills on Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

That was a bit of as revelation about our beachside pit wasnt it SK. :Thumb:

Starting to wonder what the roach fishing is like now aswell.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

One club I belong to had rudd to 3lb14oz in recent years. A dammed stillwater.
Then came the surrounding land being used at a golf courses - the 'stuff' used on the fairways & greens killed the lake & rudd almost to extinction!
I think the largest in recent years has been about 1lb8oz.

Big rudd are in both Frenshams - winter or spring fishing just before the 15th March seems to be best - read Duncan Charman's blog.

I have had them to 3lb+ in a French canal - had 3 x 2lb8oz+ fish in 3 casts once - shame it so difficult here for such a beautiful fish.

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”