The Rudd

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Julian
Salmon

The Rudd

Post by Julian »

In among some recent carp catches I caught this prime example of a rudd of about 4ozs.
One of this country's prettiest species - immmaculately created to perfection:

There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

GazTheAngler

Re: The Rudd

Post by GazTheAngler »

Lovely Julian,

I caught 2 about half the size on corn on my last trip. Beutiful little fish, but I was embassered to capture them for posterity. I will next time.

Gaz

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Tis a beautiful fish the rudd.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I still want to poach The Lake in St Jame's park, loads of Rudd and some very nice ones too.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I fed the Rudd in St James yesterday(once i'd got through the ducks) some of them are real crackers, saw a nice Carp and loads of Perch too.

Gaz

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

"Hi Chaps", :Hat:

.....I wonder if any other "TFF'er" was ever lucky enough to have fished a pit that was owned by Taylor Woodrow and was renowned for it's huge shoals of big Rudd, it was just known as the "Staines Pit" to those of us that worked for TW and was not far outside of Staines, Middx on the Chertsey Road.
It was the big pit just behind the Greenhams gravel "workings" back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Being that it was owned by TW (whom Greenhams were also part of) it wasn't openly available to membership unless you worked for them. As an old Taywood AS member I do recall some matches against visiting clubs. But other than that I think it was only available on exchange water tickets for single club matches and was subsequently barely fished at any other times.

The Rudd in there were truly magnificent :Thumb: and frequently "went" between two and three pounds. They only seemed to inhabit a few parts of the pit and so, on "Match Days", if you were lucky to draw a very early "away", there was a very good possibility of you taking the "pot". The only time you were likely to be beaten was if someone managed to find and hold a shoal of massive "slabs" (quite often double figure fish....YUK!) that also lived in there.

"The bait" was cockles..... they just loved them! I had never heard of them being used as a bait before then. They worked every time. Fished "on the drop", 6' under a float in deep water (it was about 12 feet deep), the Rudd would rise up to them every time. You would never see them "on the surface" throughout the day but as the evening approached they started to show.

That pit also held a great number of Carp which were very rarely caught outside of an area known as "The Withy's", that was rarely fished by anyone other than myself and fishing pal, as it was a good long hike to reach.

I've looked at some more recent maps but it has changed so much very locally that it's quite hard to re-locate amongst the newer pits in that area. I wonder if it's still being fished today and if so, who has the rights?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The first Rudd I ever saw was about 3" long and a young lad had just caught it in the middle of Reading from the Kennet. For some reason he called it a Ruck? and it looked more like it belonged in a tropical fish tank it was so golden and colourful. I've since caught many from the Thames at a place my son and I call the Ruddy Tree, and it's just about the only place I know on the Thames to find them!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Rudd seem to be very abundant in my local area - just about every pool, pond, lake has a good stock of rudd, and although most are small , there are places still in this area where rudd between 1lb and 2lb, and even at one or two places between 2lb and 3 lb are still there in good numbers.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

In the mid 1960s my friend and I would cycle to a working gravel pit,crawl through the undergrowth and fish the far end of the pit to fish for the huge shoals of Rudd. Just bread for bait fished 12" under the float,a bite every cast would produce a beautiful golden Rudd up to 2 or 3 lb.
We would fish from sunrise until about 8 or 9 am until the workmen at the other end of the pit noticed us and chased us away.
All these years later never have I caught or seen Rudd to match the size of those beautiful Rudd the only species in that pit.
We were only about 14 years old at the time and were once caught by the local Bobby who gave us a clip round the ear followed by a wink and a lecture on poaching.

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

Concerning Rudd im in a very lucky position.
Me and 5 friends own the fishing rights for a 2 acre pond. All the others are only interested in Carp and Pike. So theres a good stock of Carp up to 35 lbs and a nice stock of pike up to 15lbs as well as some scrace big tench and the odd Zander and two catfish.

But as feed for the Pikes theres only Rudd in it. No roach, no bream. and those Rudd breed in the excesive reeds on one side of the lake quite succesfully but get thined out by the big pike so the remaining have a phenomenal growing rate.

Theyre quite pale because the water in summer is very coloured, but it aint uncommon if you cot the right spot and day and fish on the drop with liquidised bread that you can get loads (im talking keepnets full!) of Rudd. And the biggest specimens go up to 3 lbs, 1-2lbs are id say about 50% of the catch.

Im so looking forward for the warm days and tackling them with my new old tackle.

P.S. If my carpfishing friends use boilies of 14mm or smaller they sometimes even get Rudd on the Boilies and Bolt Rigs!

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”