Gravel Pit Tench

This forum is for discussing tench.
BobH

Gravel Pit Tench

Post by BobH »

Having fished for Tench since the 1950s I wondered if Gravel pit Tench are regarded in some way second best to estate lake Tench.

For my money Gravel Pit Tench are harder to catch than the estate lake Tench ?

Bob

Tony1964

Re: Gravel Pit Tench

Post by Tony1964 »

I love fishing for gravel pit tench. I used to belong to the Ashford Keynes angling club and was lucky to catch many fine tench from the gravel pits over the years. I have witnessed double figure fish from the pits but have still to catch one myself. I cannot comment as to whether they are more difficult to catch than estate lake tench but they certainly fight well. Several times I have caught 6lb females that I thought would be double figure fish due to the fight they put up.
I wonder whether the clearer waters of the gravel pits would have any bearing on how difficult they are to catch. Although, estate waters like Blenheim Palace are crystal clear. Hmm..:think:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have only fished for tench in estate lakes up to now but the place I fish for them was devastated by the 2007 floods and hasn't come back. The club also has a lovely mature gravel pit with some huge tench in it which I will try for this summer.
I'm looking forward to finding out.... :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Let me know when you are going Snape if you fancy some company!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:Let me know when you are going Snape if you fancy some company!
Will do. :thumb:
The lake is in Bourton on the water.
Day tickets are available.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Count me in guys if you need a third musketeer. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I remember that you mentioned a Bourton on the Water lake before. I have been to Bourton loads of time but can't picture any lakes. I will look forward to that! Only about half an hour from me.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”