Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kevin
Chub

Re: How about these for river tench?

Post by Kevin »

MaggotDrowner wrote:
Kevin wrote:Lovely fish maggot.
Now go for a river King.
I plan on doing a few nights in that swim and a big bay a little bit upstream for the kings. I've seen truly massive carp in the Weaver. Absolutely colossal. They swam right along the margins while I was fishing for roach. My heart stopped. I dropped a handful of maggots on their nose and I'm sure they saw me. One flick of the tail, with no haste mind, and they were gone. It is one of the best sights I have ever seen while fishing.
Colossal :Thumb:
I was on the river tuesday evening,walking and watching,i found some here
Image going to try for one monday

i rejoined na this season as they waived the signing on fee.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Yes, it's quite a cheap club to join without the joining fee and if you don't bother with a night card. Only £45. They haven't had a joining fee in a few years. But I think they struggle for members. There's no wonder. The only places they look after are the Weaver, Big and Little Billinge and Eyre's Pit. (The carp waters and the main match river, so no surprise there!)

All the others are allowed to get so dense in weed that fishing is made impossible. I had a look around the three pools at Dane Valley a few days ago. The one closest to the bottom car park is in a really bad state. The brambles are half the height of me, there is no path to speak of anymore and dense reeds grow around the whole bank, across the fishing platforms. It's a real waste. I have e-mailed asking to offer assistance in sorting them out but I just get ignored.

If you fancy a day tench and bream fishing give me a PM.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

Reedling wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote:Thanks guys. :Thumb:
I've been casting in a new way (for me). I pull line off the pin and let it dangle on the floor. I then flick it out under arm. Is there a name for this type of casting? It seems to work well with bombs, but less well with light floats. I still use loop casting with floats.
Lovely fish MD, I have never caught a river Tench as far as I can remember but I bet they fought like demons.. they do so in the lakes I fish. As regards the casting method, have a look on page 58 of Mr Crabtree goes fishing, he uses a coiled line on the floor method with a pin. Reedling, :Hat:
that rings a bell is that where you coil it on paper then turn the paper over and it is then coiled the right way around to cast with
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That is the one Gord, I remember trying it myself as a kid and got in a hell of a state (birds nests) and also those par boiled potatoes always came flying off.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Lovely fish and fishing. I wonder if river tench are generally more common now. Forty years ago they were rarely caught from the lower Great Ouse but I heard of a catch of twelve fish last year from the Littleport area, and six and seven pound fish are caught every year now.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Thanks maggot i dont get a lot of days off work,so tend to fish evenings,i will be in touch.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Thanks everyone.
Moley wrote:Top angling that Man. A Tench from a river is a splendid thing....two is brilliant :Hat:

I have fished the Weaver a few times, in days of yore but only caught nice Roach; I like Roach!!!

As ever,....

Mole Power!!! :Sun:
Which part did you fish, Moley?
Up near Winsford back in the late 1960's.

As I remember it, the stretch in question was on a day ticket collected on the bank by an old codger on a bike that had seen better days. :Hahaha:

I remember having to cast a fairish distance to reach the far bank reeds that lined the bank and watching the Zoomer floats for the merest touch as these were educated Roach back then, as Matches still took place on a regular basis...every weekend :Hat:

Some of the Roach were getting near the magic two pound mark and I'm sure some did get them....sadly my best from the Weaver was 1lb 10oz.

Close but no banana!

As ever,.....

Say aye tae'a pie!

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Moley wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote:Thanks everyone.
Moley wrote:Top angling that Man. A Tench from a river is a splendid thing....two is brilliant :Hat:

I have fished the Weaver a few times, in days of yore but only caught nice Roach; I like Roach!!!

As ever,....

Which part did you fish, Moley?
Up near Winsford back in the late 1960's.

As I remember it, the stretch in question was on a day ticket collected on the bank by an old codger on a bike that had seen better days. :Hahaha:

I remember having to cast a fairish distance to reach the far bank reeds that lined the bank and watching the Zoomer floats for the merest touch as these were educated Roach back then, as Matches still took place on a regular basis...every weekend :Hat:

Some of the Roach were getting near the magic two pound mark and I'm sure some did get them....sadly my best from the Weaver was 1lb 10oz.

Close but no banana!

As ever,.....

There are still matches on the Weaver very frequently. At least there are a mile or two down steam near Northwich. Northwich AA still give out a trophy in memory of my Great Grandfather - the Bob Hunt Memorial Trophy. Sadly match fishing never appealed as I almost completely lack a sense of competitiveness, especially when it comes to fishing so I never fished for it. Great Granddad Bob had a lot to do with the running of the club. Four generations (that I am aware of) were members of the club. That is why is so sad to see places getting worse with time. Now I am back in Cheshire full time I have asked to join any work parties but no response to my request as yet. I may have to go to the next AGM.

I wonder if there are still big roach... :holmes:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

They have an open every saturday morning,in northwich,this has gone on for around fifty/sixty years .
All the best northern anglers have fished them over the years.The Ashursts were regulars,they supplied the tackle shops with their maggots.Last winter Kevin came over the sea and fished one again and won with 9lb of Roach.
Match fishing,against men and fish is an honourable traditional pastime in this town.
I am not going fishing with you if you are going to start trouble at the agm mate :Hahaha:
I can get into enough trouble on my own thanks.

The match reports weights/baits,and just watching them is a useful guide to where the fish are on the river in each season.
The Roach are there.

It would be great craic to grab your cane and go and fish for your great grand farthers trophy.
with period tackle,when is the match?,im tempted.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”