Decent Tench Venue

This forum is for discussing tench.
GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Decent Tench Venue

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Is there any water in it? That part of the country has really suffered from lack of rain over the last couple of years.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

From what I can gather it's a fair old pit. Might be worth a phone call before travelling though. Fairly cheap tickets too, might be worth a nosey in the summer for our group.....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I've just seen one of my local waters mentioned in this thread, Fens pools in particular the middle pool were quite good for tench but better for carp and pike, however last year the authorities decidecd to do some maintenance on a sluice gate, the long and short of it is that once opened it couldn't be shut so alot of water ended up in the canals. To fish there you have to get a local authority licence, so if you are not local I can't recommend it.
A much better bet for tench in the same area is Lodge Farm Reservoir, the average size of the tench is 4lb, the fishing is not easy but it is free and you would have to contend with water skiers, divers and yachts (not at the same time). From the safety point of view you can park your car so you can see it. However if you are looking for the becalmed, misty, lilly covered estate lake this is not it because it is sited close to a major industrial town and suffers the from the problems associated with similar places throughout the country.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I'd be interested in Sywell. Not too far from me....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:I'd be interested in Sywell. Not too far from me....
Me too, only an hour away.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Add to the trip list maybe?
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Thanks to all for tips on tinca venues

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

John L,

If you don't mind commercials, Bird's Green in Ongar is a lot less than 100 miles from Hackney. I've not fished it but one of the lakes is supposed to have a good head of Tinca's.

I'm after Tench on Baldwin's pond in Epping Forest on 16 June as a lad on the CEMEX forum had a 4lber out last year.

Gaz

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Hello Gaz Ta for the Birds green advice....Where is Baldwins lake in Epping Forrest? I know Cannaught water and Warren pond oh and Hollow pond but not Balwins

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Well yesterday ....Round trip 170 miles there and back! On the road at 0505 pulled out the car park at 1745. We went to Lemington lakes in the Cotswolds.

Tench :beg: Tench :beg:

My eldest son( 12) and me behind the wheel Far more tackle than we could need or use. Plenty of supplies :chuckle:

And my MKIV Avon, coupled with Mitchell 300a, and Avocet with 4 inch centre pin reel were my tools in my Armoury :wink:

We were not disappointed one bit, oh no. Lemington is a quality Commercial with 4 waters and one that's only got Tench in it!Beatiful surroundings there were hardly anyone else there.

We had hailstorms ,high winds rain and streaming sunshine , huddling under the brolly. The brollly ended up in the blooming lake :hahaha:

And we had Tench, many Tench. I stopped using scales when I returned to fishing but I guess up to 5lb . On both rods( only one at a time) Quill floats all on corn or maggots.

This was the day I had waited for and spent with my best angling Buddy. Blooming long drive though

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”