Tinca Time

This forum is for discussing tench.
DWW
Grayling

Tinca Time

Post by DWW »

The change in the " Traditional " fishing season has opened up some fantastic fishing opportunities , especially for early season Tench . The size of the Tench reported over the last few years has been mind blowing . A fish of 3 lbs was a " good fish " when I was a teenager . In fact my biggest tench remained a solid 3 1/2 Lbs for some 15 years until a 6lb 12oz specimen eclipsed my Tench fishing world . But that fish is small in comparison to those reported now . In fact a 6lb Tench is the norm on many waters these days . You have to get to double figures to get a rating . Shame I say ! A Tench of 5lbs is in my view a real specimen on my local waters and I for one would be happy catching a few of those !

One complex of gravel pits that we fish is famous for its tench . Last year Jeff and I failed to land one . How would this year go ?

The weather in early May had been ideal . Warm and overcast . A day off work had to be booked to capitilise on the conditions . So it came to pass that Jeff and I would pit our wits against the early season Tench .

The best method is without doubt a semi fixed feeder with maggots as bait and feed . The feeder on an in line set up with a short hooklength . The hook adorned with maggots ( red) and an artificial one to slightly pop it up . So what did I do ? Fish a float of course ! With a centerpin for good measure !

The weather forecast was spot on .Warm. With overcast conditions and rain . My perfect Tench weather !

Pleasing in appearance but even more pleasing in disappearance !
5 lbs of green glistening gorgeousness !
" look at his little red eye peter ! "
Jeff fished the feeder and caught 6 lovely Tench to 6lbs . I had three on the float to 51/2 lbs . Superb !

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Tinca Time

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Splendid - absolutely splendid.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Lovely fish :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely fish....can't wait until the glorious 16th of June and that first cast, just as dawn breaks over a swim fizzing with bubbles.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Great,we rarely get the perfect tench conditions up in Scotland.when fishing my local canal,a muggy day with a torrential downpour turns them on,especially if it goes off a couple of hours before dark.hope you catch many more dww and by the sounds of the forecast for the summer that's a certainty.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I'm with you DWW. A perfect healthy 5 pounder would do me a treat this spring!

Well done, lovely fish on the float are hard to beat!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

LuckyLuca wrote:I'm with you DWW. A perfect healthy 5 pounder would do me a treat this spring!

Well done, lovely fish on the float are hard to beat!
I agree but most are caught on bolt rig pellet feeders nowadays.
Called in a Norwich tackle shop for a pint of casters on Saturday on our way to friends and almost felt ridiculed as the assistant showed me the back orders..casters are ordered in gallons it seems at this time of the year. 'To catch tench you have to stove it in' I was told.. really? well I have never bought a fish in my life and don't intend to start now (I wanted to say young man but resisted) what a ridiculous thing to say 'stove it in' my posterior.
They will be pushing them in half pints in the winter when we get after the roach & bream on the tidals its a shame they forget their all year regulars when the sun hits the still waters.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”