Where to look for river tench?

This forum is for discussing tench.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Where to look for river tench?

Post by Duebel »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:38 am Is there any bait, that tench like and carp might ignore?

Short answer - No.
Thanks Dave, this is what I thought as well ...

Cheers, Chris! Now I've got some idea of tactics that might help me catch a tench.

Thanks, MD, for giving me the confidence to try the shallow backwaters.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

I would try as its getting dark until a few hours after. I've had river tench from a small slow moving river, worms and corn worked well. I had success with a tiny block end feeder (maggots) and worm on the hook as well as a light quill float and corn. The main thing is knowing that the river holds them. All the pegs I caught from have reeds/pads and all fish were no more than a rod length out so literally on the shelf as the margin slopes away. I also pre baited with wheat / pigeon conditoner, just half a pint thrown in two days in a row, the fish came out around the same time as I was pre baiting.

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hi. Very interested in this thread as I fish for river Tench in the summer in isolation and move onto Roach in the Autumn.

For me, with a low stock density of Tench and high stock density of other fish, particularly Bream the key for me is location. This gives me increased confidence as even after locating I might only catch a Tench once in ever half dozen trips.
I begin fishing the most likely areas, these being areas with marginal weed, lilies or significant bank side grasses or overhanging features which provide a central channel. Any areas where there are isolated slow pools or areas of pads or weed should never be ignored. I cant comment on faster sections or mid river as my rivers are small but I tend to fish about a rod length out most of the time.
Once I have a likely looking location I fish until I see signs of Tench rolling. This can be a long wait but crucial in terms of confidence, I will then fish that spot on the next visit and usually catch quickly. And so the cycle continues. Raking a swim is good for putting the Carp off if they are a problem.

In terms of bait I would suggest that depends on what other fish are in the water. I never fish maggot or worm due to Eels and Perch and silver fish and dont fish boilies due to Carp. I like to feed a little Hemp but only a little so as not to encourage preoccupation. I tend to feed lightly and little but often to not attract Bream shoals. Hook baits would be corn/ flake/ maples or chickpeas on a size 8-12.

Favorite rod for modest Tench in open water would be a Wizard with a 3lb line and for larger Tench an Avocet and 4-6lb line and for real biggies in heavy weed a Mk IV with 6-8 lb line. I use flourocarbon hook links for line above 4lb.

I hope that is useful and kind regards.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Digger wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am Hi. Very interested in this thread as I fish for river Tench in the summer in isolation and move onto Roach in the Autumn.

For me, with a low stock density of Tench and high stock density of other fish, particularly Bream the key for me is location. This gives me increased confidence as even after locating I might only catch a Tench once in ever half dozen trips.
I begin fishing the most likely areas, these being areas with marginal weed, lilies or significant bank side grasses or overhanging features which provide a central channel. Any areas where there are isolated slow pools or areas of pads or weed should never be ignored. I cant comment on faster sections or mid river as my rivers are small but I tend to fish about a rod length out most of the time.
Once I have a likely looking location I fish until I see signs of Tench rolling. This can be a long wait but crucial in terms of confidence, I will then fish that spot on the next visit and usually catch quickly. And so the cycle continues. Raking a swim is good for putting the Carp off if they are a problem.

In terms of bait I would suggest that depends on what other fish are in the water. I never fish maggot or worm due to Eels and Perch and silver fish and dont fish boilies due to Carp. I like to feed a little Hemp but only a little so as not to encourage preoccupation. I tend to feed lightly and little but often to not attract Bream shoals. Hook baits would be corn/ flake/ maples or chickpeas on a size 8-12.

Favorite rod for modest Tench in open water would be a Wizard with a 3lb line and for larger Tench an Avocet and 4-6lb line and for real biggies in heavy weed a Mk IV with 6-8 lb line. I use flourocarbon hook links for line above 4lb.

I hope that is useful and kind regards.
Thank you, Chris! I'll try raking a swim as there are at least 10-15 carp for one tench in my river.
Do you rake the swim on the day you're fishing it?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hi Martin

I rake it upon arrival primarily if there is excessive weed but the added bonus is to scare any Carp off. Tench seem to be far more inquisitive than Carp and less afraid of disturbance in my experience....

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

The only river Tench I have caught so far was a young one on the fly.
When I was new to fly fishing I used to practice casting on the local river with a bit of fluff that always attracted the attention of the resident Dace. When I had progressed to being able to cast to roughly the right spot the fluff was substituted with a proper fly and a lot of fun was had with the Roach and Dace. Changing fly to an animated bloodworm pattern one day produced a Perch of nearly 2lb and the small Tench which was a bit of a surprise.
Good luck with your quest.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

That is unusual. Reminds me of a day when I was a kid, pike fishing on our local public water. It was freezing and in January. A guy came over and asked me if i had seen the Tench leaping. I thought he must be a local nutter but as it turns out he was right. Tench were leaping in the shallows. I saw it and perhaps a dozen times in a half hour period. Never seen that before or since.

Reminds me of this Wednesday. My daughter and I were tench fishing on the local, we saw three King fishers together in formation flying up and down the river. Never seen that before. The wonders of nature and angling!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

My best catch of river tench came from a mill-stream in early winter. The river was dropping after a flood but was still coloured . The fish (six if l recall)came from a shallow bit of slack water to the side of the main current at the tail of the pool. I've also caught tench by casting under a road bridge at the head of the same pool . The water is only a foot or so deep but l guess they feel secure in the shadow of the tunnel.
Worms on a light shot ledger seem to work.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

[My best catch of river tench came from a mill-stream in early winter. The river was dropping after a flood but was still coloured . The fish (six if l recall)came from a shallow bit of slack water to the side of the main current at the tail of the pool]

Respect, that's a great catch......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think that in 60 years I have only had 2 river tench. Both from the tidal Thames in the 60's. I suppose I don't fish suitable rivers and the stock density is very very low.

First find a river with tench! Some of the Sussex rivers & drains look enticing with their lilies.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”