video of the 9lb 5oz river Lea chub.

This forum is for discussing chub.
St.John
Tench

Re: video of the 9lb 5oz river Lea chub.

Post by St.John »

It'd be bananas! The only 2lb grayling I've caught ran me ragged, imagine over seven pounds!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:I'm now a little lost.

Not knowing what the record chub currently is, or any other fish for that matter I notice that in the video someone states "if its 9lb 6oz it’s an ounce off the record".

In 'The Anglers Handbook' that I have (see http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... rns#p16201) on page 8 it states the record chub is 10lb 8oz, my copy of the book is a revised October 1965 edition.

I have a problem with my scanner at the moment, perhaps Paul (pduffield) will do me the honour and scan the page and upload it for me).
I commented on this on another thread about the Ladybird fishing book some of us bought recently. It has the list of records and I thought it was interesting that a number of records had nearly doubled whereas others had only gone up a little but the chub had gone down! Anyone know why the 10lb 8oz record was withdrawn?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

The 9lb 5oz chub was weighed and witnessed by my good friend and fellow National Anguilla Club member Mark Salt, and I can guarantee it would have been weighed accurately.
Dr Camerons 10lb 8oz 1955 chub record was removed from the record lits some time ago, not sure why, but I seem to remember that no photo was taken and the fish was killed and fed to his cat.
The 7lb grayling always appeared to be a little bit dodgy probably because it dwarfed anyother grayling ever caught before, or since for that matter. The only photo that I can recall seeing of this fish was a very blurred image from which you couldn't properly estimate the size of it.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Thanks for clearing that up John! As i said earlier, I'm sure that any confusion in the dialogue on't video is only through excitement, and anyone weighing a possible record would be sure to do it properly.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

st. John, I'd have been a gibbering wreck mate. If I was so lucky to catch a chub like that, no one would have ever understood a word.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

John Davis wrote:The 9lb 5oz chub was weighed and witnessed by my good friend and fellow National Anguilla Club member Mark Salt, and I can guarantee it would have been weighed accurately.
Dr Camerons 10lb 8oz 1955 chub record was removed from the record lits some time ago, not sure why, but I seem to remember that no photo was taken and the fish was killed and fed to his cat.
The 7lb grayling always appeared to be a little bit dodgy probably because it dwarfed anyother grayling ever caught before, or since for that matter. The only photo that I can recall seeing of this fish was a very blurred image from which you couldn't properly estimate the size of it.
The ten pound chub came from the Annan in Scotland. One imagines anything from a Scottish river that didn't possess an adipose fin was summarily dispatched as a matter of course. The big grayling came from the River Megrum I think. I seem to recall this fish still being the record when I started fishing, though the chub record had been downsized to Bill Warren's 7lb 6oz Avon fish.

I also seem to recall Martin Hooper catching a monster grayling (5lb plus) from the lower Dorset Stour in the mid eighties. I must confess however, I have no idea what the curent grayling record is.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Take a look at this link, I'm even more confused now. :shocked: Looks like the 7lb grayling has also been wiped from the record list for some reason.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/fish/grayling.htm
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

LUMP!!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

I fly fish a lot and whilst most fly only guys are decent enough the level of ignorance can be startling to we all rounders. Such as..local STA chairman having no idea what we call those nice little silver fish in the Ure- yup, that rare species..the ...dace. Or another STA bloke catching a tench - on a pheasant tail nymph - and proclaiming loudly he'd caught a barbel. Weighing fish is near unkown except for dead ones - so I get tired of the litany of 20lb pike and 6lb chub they have seen caught. For which read 3-12 and 12 lb respectively... So a large pinch of salt should be applied to anything said by a lot of game anglers!

Anyway - 9-5's a bloody monster. Its Yorkshire equivalent would be a lot smaller...We get lots of 4s afew 5s and the very odd 6.A 7 is fairyland for most of us and an 8 beyond our imagination.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Sorry to chuck my tuppenorth worth late in the game but the 10lb 8oz Annan chub was genuine as I met the ghillie on the stretch concerned in the early 1980's. He told me the fish was clonked on the head and weighed 'dead' so probably was heavier when alive. You have to bear in mind that the chub in the Annan are the apex predator in this river, ambushing the 'tourists' on their annual return. However, Scottish Anglers do not regard 'coarse fish' with the same regard that we do. Dr Cameron couldn't have cared less for this fish, as it interrupted his Sea Trout fishing and was persuaded by others to make a claim!

I also took the time to swim in this river with goggles on and saw some monster chub lurking under the trees. The Ghillie was spot on with the chub sizes he said 'now' lived in the river....remember this was the early 1980's when a 7lb chub would have got full scale national coverage in the comics. If any are old enough to remember this time, a 4lb Chub would have got coverage in the 'comics' then. A 'five' was the fish of a life time!

I caught a 6lb 4oz Annan chub, witnessed with photo's etc. which had I presented the corpse to the Scottish record bods would have earned me 'fame and fortune' in the 'comics'.....sod that, I was happy to see the fish swim back to his/her mates, alive and well.

If any doubt the veracity of my words I would suggest a quick squint at the Chub Study Group Album to see a younger
Fat Mole staring back at them with a veritable monster for the time.

I just wanted to prove to myself that I could catch fish of this size and really still do. I suspect I would not bother to claim any record, as from a personal point of view, I could not care less. By the by, I have caught club records in the past and been persuaded to make the size of the catch known...the jealousy this engenders, however, is unbelievable and very often upsetting.

So nowadays IF I catch a decent fish of any species I keep VERY quiet.

I prefer to eat tea and cake when fishing now, much more fun!

Mole Power!!!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”