A nice quotation

This forum is for discussing chub.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

A nice quotation

Post by Wagtail »

I bought a copy of "Sporting Tactics for Coarse Fish" by L.V Bates which covers fly and spin fishing for coarse fish. From the chub section here are the opening lines............

"The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about."

:clap: :Thumb: :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: A nice quotation

Post by Santiago »

Great quote. It's hard to believe that chub were once thought of as vermin by some anglers. Even some famous names whilst in the pursuit of trout would remove any chub and I have read of them being fed to pigs even. Nowadays there's nothing beats catching a nice big fat river chub. What's not to like.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You should have spoken to the late Fred Crouch about chub - "only good for leveling the table" were his words!

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

There is a wonderful chapter in Arthur Ransome's book "Rod & Line" solely devoted to the chub, which is both thought-provoking and delightful to read..
If you haven't already seen it, try and watch the marvellous series shown on T.V. with the Late Michael Hordern..
The "Chub" episode is magic!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”