Small rivers and big chub

This forum is for discussing chub.
Blueavocet

Small rivers and big chub

Post by Blueavocet »

The psychologists tell us that its much better to exceed expectations, rather than to get what we expect. That seems specially true as regards the capture of a fish. However vain it is, we can then equate capture with prowess. You can ramp up that happy experience up some by catching a big fish in a small river and then, chub is your fish. You get a lot of chevin from beneath the alder and not only do you feel expert (it was such a tight swim) but you think, heck that's big, I must be clever!

I fished the diminutive River Whitewater the other day and caught two 3lb chub. They were from impossible, jungle swims, and in a river that is may be no more than 10-12 feet across. Alder roots bulrush and more were just a quick dive away and yet I coaxed them out. Both fell to bread flake, the old favourite.

Now I'm no specimen hunter, nor an expert, but I do rather like the puzzles that small rivers pose when fishing for chub. Its comparatively easy to spot chubby holes, but you have to plan the extraction! How best to strike given the branches around you, where best to land them. You're in touch with your senses more. Touch legering is aided when your hands smart with nettle stings. You feel the fish more when you close your eyes. I felt every bump and nudge. I closed my eyes and thought, hell, I even hear different whilst after these fish. The crack willow leaves rattle in the wind, the alder leaves flap…two different sounds. May be that is part of it, catching chub in small rivers, you feel you earn the fish and then they seem surprisingly big?

Blueavocet

Re: Small rivers and big chub

Post by Blueavocet »

So now the serious fish specific reflection. Clearly chub are omnivores and opportunists. They feed through a very wide range of water temperatures and small rivers, even streams provide really good hiding holes. They don't have to swim far for the food, it comes to them. But still, the size and weight of fish for such small venues often seems surprising. Were roach to be afforded such exclusive facilities, they don't seem to pack on the pro rata weight so well. I've caught big Perch in small rivers (to just shy of 3lb), but the number of big chub (up to 6.5lb) still surprise me. Is it down to metabolism and growth rates in this species, to niche fit (more perfect for them than any other fish?). May be its simply appetite?

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Lovely articles BV.

I would say that the proliferation of the signal crayfish plays no small part in the seemingly increasing sizes we are seeing, especially here in Surrey and, I suspect where you are also.

Russ

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

An interesting presentation on the impact of crayfish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESikgMfeYzk
Slightly alarming comment at the end that signals aren't the main invasive species of crayfish we should be worried about.

Also the research paper Professor Grey mentions 'though I haven't attempted to read it yet: http://www.academia.edu/24714302/Invasi ... life_stage

Pete

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

:Thumb: Hadn't thought about crayfish Russ and Pete. They feature as a problem on the Blackwater and in the Basingstoke canal. I've found them in the Loddon too. So yes, they may be affecting Chub weight gain. The Whitewater flows into the Blackwater. :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Which then flows into the Loddon. They have moved upstream from the Thames.

There was until a few years ago a small stream with our native White-clawed Crayfish in it that flowed into the Blackwater. Signals reached the confluence and moved upstream - within a month 150+ native crayfish died. End of an era - extinct.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Olly wrote:Which then flows into the Loddon. They have moved upstream from the Thames.

There was until a few years ago a small stream with our native White-clawed Crayfish in it that flowed into the Blackwater. Signals reached the confluence and moved upstream - within a month 150+ native crayfish died. End of an era - extinct.
How bloody sad Olly, the Basingstoke although supporting a good head of fish is now almost unfishable because of them, luckily I've not yet come across them in my beloved River Wey...... yet.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Only a matter of time I am afraid.

Baits will need to be covered to maximise the chance of a fish not a crayfish taking it. Below is a photo - if it comes out - showing how to avoid them!

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/09/00/86/74/eschag10.jpg --- French style against giant crays!!

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Guys, I used to fish the river wey at Elstead and the bottom was moving ....crayfish constantly nibbling .... Very difficult .

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

I destroy the Signals at every opportunity. I can confirm that their claws can inflict a nasty cut too. One inadvertent finger in the wrong place. I still find the Basingstoke canal profitable, for tench, bream and occasional big roach. There are a few chub in there, sprinkled mainly around Fleet and westward I think. Thanks for reflections gents.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”