A very old chub from the River Penk, Stafford

This forum is for discussing chub.
Paul F
Sea Trout

A very old chub from the River Penk, Stafford

Post by Paul F »

If I am honest, I had never heard of the River Penk, until my recent quest for a chub!

The River Penk starts its course at Penton, South Staffordshire,and meanders for 22 miles where it enters the River Sow at Baswich just outside Stafford, the River Sow continues for a few miles where it meets the River Trent at Essex Bridge, Staffordshire.

Anyway back to my chub :Wink:

It wasn't caught by me! it was caught by G.Birch
weighing 3lb 12oz
Caught on the 17th October 1902

It has taken its place in my living room, with my barbel, roach and grayling :Thumb:

It is by the great Victorian taxidermist J.Cooper and Sons, a close up of the 2 legends below

I know stuffed fish are not everybody's cup of tea, but I like well done fish, and I love the history.

Paul D

Re: A very old chub from the River Penk, Stafford

Post by Paul D »

That's wonderful Paul, I don't want to know what you paid but are such things expensive? Ive always promised my that if I found a dead kingfisher I would have it mounted. :Hat:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Paul D wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:43 pm That's wonderful Paul, I don't want to know what you paid but are such things expensive? Ive always promised my that if I found a dead kingfisher I would have it mounted. :Hat:
Quality taxidermy is expensive, I paid a good price for this and I am very happy with it, as I have wanted a cooper fish.

It will cost you a lot to have a kingfisher set up, and I think you would have to prove you found it dead as they are protected.
You can find fine Victorian kingfishers at auctions from £50, check out www.thesaleroom.com

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Cheers Paul :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's lovely Paul.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Went on TFF outing to the penk a long time ago.... myself, Mark, Snape , Chavender and another ex member...... we caught bugger all but we did take a trip to Isaac Walton cottage and museum...... which was nice.....
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Lovely looking cases chub .
I grew up with am 18lbs pike on the living room wall.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”