This Season's Target

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: This Season's Target

Post by Dave Burr »

If you feed a swim the crucians are very quick to show themselves by their little bubbles. If you have these near your float then you are in the right place. I suggest you walk the lake, bait a few swims with groundbait and a few particles then go on a bubble hunt.

Catching them is the next step and there are others on here much better at that than I.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Great fish, looking at the tail looks like an otters had a go at it at some point
Regards SL

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 pm If you feed a swim the crucians are very quick to show themselves by their little bubbles. If you have these near your float then you are in the right place. I suggest you walk the lake, bait a few swims with groundbait and a few particles then go on a bubble hunt.

Catching them is the next step and there are others on here much better at that than I.
Thanks for the advice. Today I worked out where the deeper part of the lake is and this is where most of the crucians have been caught. Its a tricky swim due to overhanging trees, I saw several floats dangling off the branches where other anglers have tried to get right into the pads. I fished a small bodied waggler as slider due to the branches, it was the only way I could get in the pads. I just under arm cast on to the top of them and then with an open bail arm pulled the line slightly so the float dropped off the pads and cocked next to them.

Rain and wind all day today, was tucked under the brolly. It was still a good session, swim felt Cruciany and I had the lake to myself. Whilst I took a few roach to 2lb's still no Crucian. Later in the day I started to get some finicky bites having fed castors/corn little and often. If someone has a tip on how else to tackle this sort of swim I'd welcome advice. All I can think of changing is to shot the slider down to a dot.

Going back on Sunday and I hope to post a picture to this thread eventually!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I know it's not necessarily traditional but a pole will get you right above the float with very delicate bite detection :Scared: Other than that, using a slider is a good move so you are in the right direction. Now you just need to make bites easier to see or your bait easier to be taken. Even then Crucians can drive you mad. But hey, if you re 'troubled' by 2lb roach along the way , life can't be too bad.

Tinca
Stickleback

Post by Tinca »

What a fantastic fish SK! Been lucky enough to have some moderate success also and all the fish displayed the random dark scaling as yours does. Any ideas as to the cause?
Tinca
There is not any exercise more pleasing or more agreeable.....than this of Angling. (Arthur Sharp)

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”