Is this a true crucian

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Is this a true crucian

Post by Loop Erimder »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Shubunkin
Now there's a fish name you don't hear everyday
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Yes F1. The longer fins give it away. I have been caught out a couple of times. Occasionally these hybrids have smaller fins, which makes identification very difficult. Nice looking fish anyway
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

You should have kept it and sold it to a koi fancier. Might have made some 'reel' money.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Don't care what it is, that is one beautiful looking fish, I love those fins... ...well done sir :Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I'd say pure goldfish. For some reason traits like fantails and mirror scaling don't carry over into hybrids that readily. I've never seen a F1 crucian x carp hybrid with mirror scaling. One water local to me was stocked entirely with pure crucians and small carp all of which were mirrors. They cross bred but no mirror-scaled hybrids.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A brown Shubunkin - goldfish revert back to their natural brown colour after a generation or two.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

A club pond near me has fish like this, i've never had one but they are sort of Crucians in Drag!

Nice fish though.

Gaz

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

All these goldfish etc must have been put in ponds by people getting rid of their fish tanks or garden ponds.
I once fished a pond at Aycliffe near Darlington which had them in abundance and some of them were very hard to tell from true Crucians others were big ornamental Goldfish with huge waving fins and bulging eyes. The pond also had Pumpkinseeds, I got the shock of my life when I caught the first one of those. :shocked:
When I was still at school one of our local park ponds had Terrapins in and they got caught regularly though I never caught a Terrapin I did once catch a rat and a school friend of mine caught a bat while we were night fishing.
Happy days when the :Sun: always shone..

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I don't know, Wal, if the goldfish are always pets that people have released. I was fishing a tiny club pool and caught one. I looked at the website when I got in and they had been stocked by the club.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes, you are right MD they are not all ex pets. The water I fished at Aycliffe was stocked with the Pumpkinseeds by the local club members.
That's a lovely looking fish you have there and it would certainly add a bit of colour to the weigh in.

I wonder how big they would grow in a decent sized pond. I suppose its a matter of how much food is available and how much competition there is from other fish.
Fish can be stunted by overstocking a pond, I used to fish a local park pond which was stuffed with Crucians but they never got any bigger than 1/2lb.
Another water I fished had only a few Crucians but all were in the 1 1/2 -2 1/2lb bracket. This water was a stream fed ex clay pit and was wick with bloodworm, it also had some big Tench, big roach and big Perch.

Regards
Wal.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”