Bait thieves

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Chub

Re: Bait thieves

Post by Troydog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm

You are right Vole, it does make sense. I was not quite so hospitable to the goosanders and cormos that paraded up and down the river.

Three quid plus is a lot of cash RBT, but I can make a pint of maggots last for four days fishing, sometimes longer. The key is in the ground bait bucket (in the picture) where hemp, molehill, breadcrumb, maybe some sweet corn and chopped red worms are accompanied by just a handful of maggots. At this time of year its a fairly stiff mix, squeezed so that it falls quickly through twelve /thirteen feet of water. The match boys often use prodigious amounts of bait including all sorts of expensive proprietary brands. Call me a cheap skate but I've never bought any of these products and probably never will.

Thank you for positive comments about the pictures gentlemen. Photography has never been one of my skill sets, but with these phones, its all very easy. Another lovely picture Harry - thank you.
And yes Reedling, the Robin was great company and as I loaded my gear onto my trolley when it was nearly dark, he was perched on the handle looking very fat and well fed......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

PeteD
Silver Bream

Post by PeteD » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:40 am

On the subject of our little friends I bought my wife this book last year. An absolutely fascinating read. An ideal book to read over the Christmas period.

Duckett
Perch

Post by Duckett » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Lovely photos those. I still recall the first time, as a lad, when a Robin landed on my rod and sidled slowly up it until it was above my maggot pot, dropping into the rim to eat its fill. Seeing one never fails to make me smile.

The last two Springs, on a small lake I fish regularly, I’ve been lucky enough to discover that Reed Warblers are brave enough to pull the same trick once they get used to you being on the bank. Sadly, I’ve not managed a photograph yet!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Brings a smile, enchanting little chaps!

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 pm

What I really don't understand is how they know, even before they look like proper robins, that if they stand WAY too close to the most dangerous mammal for miles and cock their heads to one side, it will probably feed them.
From what evolutionarily advantageous behaviour did that spring?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MarkG
Gudgeon

Post by MarkG » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:58 am

Legend has it their red breast comes from trying to pick the thorns out of the Crown on Jesus's head when he was on the cross. Daft I know but I always like the thought when I see a Robin. When I was a kid Mum used to bake a cake and leave it near an open window to cool every Sunday and a Robin used to fly in and sit on it and help itself. They love meal worms, put some out and almost guaranteed a robin will come round.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”