Bread

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Bread

Post by Mark »

I can remember one English lesson way back in my school days (it must be 35 years ago now, blimey) Mr. Jones asking us to write an essay and this was to be handed in no later than the next English lesson which, I think, was two days later. “The essay must be about an essential part of a sportsman’s equipment, that without he could not take part in his chosen sport” I remember him saying. Now Mr. Jones was also our sports teacher and loved rugby and I’m sure he expected twenty or so essay’s on his desk describing rugby balls, goal posts, cricket bats and so on. But me being an enthusiastic young fisher at the time thought I would write about fishing. Two days later I remember everyone handing in there essay, unfortunately for me my essay was on the top of the pile on Mr. Jones’s desk. Suddenly Mr. Jones looked up and shouted at the top of his voice “bread”, the class looked dumfounded, including me. It was at this point I realised Mr. Jones was not a fisher. To cut a long story short Mr. Jones dismissed my essay saying “bread was not an essential item as one could have used worms to catch a fish and in any case I do not class fishing as a sport”. My frail plea of “but Sir, on the next page it says I am fishing for small rudd on the surface” was a waste of time. I never did get my essay back, I would love to see what I had written all those years ago.

Sorry about that, yes bread. It has been used for years and as a small boy it was always freely available from our bread bin in the kitchen and at no cost this freed whatever pocket money I had left for a ¼ of a pound of dolly mixtures on the way. I still take bread with me whenever I go fishing, some of my biggest carp and roach have been caught using it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Re: Bread

Post by St.John »

Brilliant story. Always had an on going battle with p.e. teachers at school. St.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I bet Mr Jones regaled that story as well (and maybe still does)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I'd love to meet him again, just so we could have a laugh about it. He must be in his 80's by now.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Wonderful!!

Bread has also accounted for many of my best captures. With bread, you are able to get close to your quarry, really close if you are quiet enough. I will stand by my view that there is no better way of catching fish than actually watching them take the bait, save for maybe watching a brightly painted quill disappear.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote: I will stand by my view that there is no better way of catching fish than actually watching them take the bait, save for maybe watching a brightly painted quill disappear.
Couldn’t agree more.
Mark (Administrator)

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

Admin wrote:
The Sweetcorn Kid wrote: I will stand by my view that there is no better way of catching fish than actually watching them take the bait, save for maybe watching a brightly painted quill disappear.
Couldn’t agree more.
Hear, hear to that.

I've told you the tale of my pb cane capture Stu?

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

You certainly have sir, and I'm sure the other would like a little recital maybe!? :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

You're probably right Stu but it's a long, drawn out tale involving lots of patience and probably a story best told on the bank over a brew I think. I'm sure that's where I told you the tale which , I'm sure, could be used as a moral to describe why patience is such a necessary virtue in anglers.

Suffice to say , in this thread, that bread was on the hook at the time :D

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

And a wonderful story it was too.

Long Live The Crust!!!! :wave:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”