gentles

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Gateleaner
Ruffe

Re: gentles

Post by Gateleaner »

Of course maggots don't have eyes!
:laugh:

It's an expression we used as boys.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Gateleaner wrote:Of course maggots don't have eyes!

If they were eyes they would have eyes in their ar*e.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Snape wrote:
Gateleaner wrote:Nick'm between the eyes without popping them.
Why not pop 'em and let the juices flow?
Always thought that kept intact they would wriggle for longer?

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Snape wrote:
Gateleaner wrote:Of course maggots don't have eyes!

If they were eyes they would have eyes in their ar*e.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Gateleaner wrote:
Snape wrote:
Gateleaner wrote:Nick'm between the eyes without popping them.
Why not pop 'em and let the juices flow?
Always thought that kept intact they would wriggle for longer?
I think an experiment is needed (anyone done it?) with unpopped maggots on a hook and popped maggots on another hook both underwater and time how long the wriggle lasts. If there is little difference surely the juices would be beneficial and maybe it just means change the maggots more frequently.
Are wriggly maggots appreciably more attractive to fish? As I first asked what about dead maggots? They are surely better as freebies (esp. in still water) as they don't wriggle away .
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

It always used to be accepted as a matter of faith that no self-respecting roach would take a maggot that had been rejected by one of its shoal mates. I don't use maggots often enough these days to form an opinion, but do those who do routinely change the bait following a missed bite, for example (assuming the maggot remains "unsucked")?

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I very rarely use or buy maggots. I do, however, take any that my mates would otherwise chuck away. These I freeze and take a few when I want to snitch some small livebaits or to use mixed with groundbait when tench fishing. For 90% of my fishing I use bread in various forms. I notice that the popular angling press now refers to gentles/maggots as grubs.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

davyr wrote:It always used to be accepted as a matter of faith that no self-respecting roach would take a maggot that had been rejected by one of its shoal mates. I don't use maggots often enough these days to form an opinion, but do those who do routinely change the bait following a missed bite, for example (assuming the maggot remains "unsucked")?
I tend to change after every bite or take but I have from time to time left a "Chewed" Maggot on the hook and then caught another fish. :wink:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

davyr wrote:It always used to be accepted as a matter of faith that no self-respecting roach would take a maggot that had been rejected by one of its shoal mates. I don't use maggots often enough these days to form an opinion, but do those who do routinely change the bait following a missed bite, for example (assuming the maggot remains "unsucked")?
I spend most of my time roach fishing these days, with a variety of baits. Much depends on the size of roach in the water. Smaller fish, when the swim has been fed frequently (trickle feeding) will often take any maggot, even one which has been sucked by one or more other fish. However, the better stamp of fish tend, as you would expect, to avoid these sucked baits.
In the summer, my usual roach bait is sweetcorn, as it avoids the small roach battering the bait before the bigger fish get to it. This isn't so much of a problem in the winter (after a frost or two) as the smaller fish seem to feed less readily
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I too am far too tight to throw away old gentles (I only ever use red - no idea why!)- preferring to freeze them and mix them into ground bait for bream (being a Norfolk based angler, bream are de rigeur, even if they do have all the fight of an old sock and slime your net, hands, clothes, mat, bank, seat.......)

The advantage of using frozen gentles is that they won't ferret themselves away in the muck at the bottom of the river or lake. I also sometimes drown the blighters deliberately and use for eel fishing - but only once in a blue moon (before remembering why I don't like catching eels that much!)

Jim

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”