Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Luncheon Meat

Post by Snape »

Just found this video on youtube about pig hormones in luncheon meat causing the growth of extra barbules in barbel on the Royalty with Ray Walton and Fred Crouch (1980s)
Has anyone heard any more of this theory?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvB3mjLcppg
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've taken dozen of carp on Luncheon meat. I found SPAM the best. I pushed the hook through turned through 90 degrees and added a blade of grass if it needed casting rather than lowering into a margin.

I've tried great big lumps of meat ripped off but never found them any more effective than neatly cut cubes.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tony1964

Re: How big a piece of luncheon meat?

Post by Tony1964 »

Snape wrote:I have heard of people successfully catching barbel using 1/2 to a whole tin of meat.
Anyone tried huge lumps?
I have caught carp on huge lumps of meat. I used to cut a tin of meat into 4 and hair rig on a size 4 hook. My friends used to laugh at me and ask if I would throw the whole tin in with the tin opener for the fish to help themselves!

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Another trick I’ve been told about but not tried is to gently fry I on one side, this makes it pop up, apparently, need to try this though to be sure.
I find that in the summer months, just leaving the lid off my baitbox lets the sun brown off the meat and toughen it enough.
A good tip I got from John Wilson was to pinch the meat off rather than cut it so that the pieces on the hook are an irregular shape and less likely to spook the fish.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:
The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Another trick I’ve been told about but not tried is to gently fry I on one side, this makes it pop up, apparently, need to try this though to be sure.
I find that in the summer months, just leaving the lid off my baitbox lets the sun brown off the meat and toughen it enough.
A good tip I got from John Wilson was to pinch the meat off rather than cut it so that the pieces on the hook are an irregular shape and less likely to spook the fish.
I generally lightly fry mine in curry powder.
The idea of tearing it off to avoid spooking fish with regular shapes is presumably only an issue on pressured fish but the torn edges will have a greater surface area resulting a greater leakage of oils etc.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Snape wrote:
tony1964 wrote:
The idea of tearing it off to avoid spooking fish with regular shapes is presumably only an issue on pressured fish but the torn edges will have a greater surface area resulting a greater leakage of oils etc.
I`d only add, that I bag the cubes/chunks of meat with the preferred spice, then I refrigerate overnight, this helps the flavours to be absorbed. Then as mentioned, I fry the meat, but I also add a few drops of chilli flavoured oil…..

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Merlot wrote:
Snape wrote:
tony1964 wrote:
I`d only add, that I bag the cubes/chunks of meat with the preferred spice, then I refrigerate overnight, this helps the flavours to be absorbed. Then as mentioned, I fry the meat, but I also add a few drops of chilli flavoured oil…..
Mmmm almost sounds good enough to eat! :hide:

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

check out Fox luncheon meat stops,find them in the match section of your local tackle emporium,only compatible with hair rigs but its been around since early 80s so it could be appropriate

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i love to use meat as well as sweet corn and bread ive cought loads of carp on bread i cought two carp on bread tonight i used french stick too catchem on the top they were too lovely fish one was just under ten pounds ther looked like a wilde it was chest nut brown and about four or five pounds great fishing under the rod top

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Luncheon meat is one of those baits that I just don't do well with. I don't know why but I just never catch well on it! I've used it a hell of a lot but have pretty much lost faith in it for my own fishing. I dare say I'll give it a go this season again-i usually do!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”