Playing about with dog biscuits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Michael
Tench

Re: Playing about with dog biscuits

Post by Michael »

Julian wrote:Can't find the post where there is lots of discussion about using dig biscuits, including softened dog biscuits on the hook, but basically the best method by far is to put the dog biscuits into a plastic food bag , fill the bag with cold water and wait just a few seconds, then drain the water out of the bag.

Tip the biscuits into another dry plastic food bag, tie it up and leave it in the fridge overnight.
After about an hour check the bag and shake it up a bit as the biscuits tend to stick together.

By the following day the biscuits should be slightly soft and rubbery, and will keep in a cool/dry place, like a bait bucket, for up to two weeks.
It's really simple to do but the trick is soaking the biscuits for just the right amount of time - which is a matter of trial and error, and depends on the specific biscuits and how large they are. just a few seconds makes a lot of difference. If they are too soft they will fall off the hook, too hard and you can't hooks them.

I have recently had success using large Pedigree Vital dog biscuits, which by trial and error I discovered take about thirty seconds of soaking to make them just right to hook. Larger biscuits make it easy to cast far while still free lining.

Chris ball, in one of his, I think floater DVDs, go through the method of preparing, length of the soak time and flavouring the dog biscuits. The dvds are actually very informative and well worth viewing....

The Mog

Post by The Mog »

You can also use large expanders 11mm ones but you need to get the timing right for the soaking otherwise they are either to hard or they sink .John Wilson was the first I saw that did the Hacksaw and glue trick and that was about 25 yrs ago .

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I use them for carp on the surface and generally use super glue or a bait band. I've used high leakage floaters and pop-up boilies and neither come close to simple dog biscuits. Mind they can be a strain on the eyes at a distance.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”