Alternative to chum mixers

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Michael
Tench

Re: Alternative to chum mixers

Post by Michael »

Trevor wrote:
Merlot wrote:
Trevor wrote:I use these as well after Mark mentioned them and, as you say, save the need for pre-soaking.
They have a very strong smell, and though they're quite firm when you put them on the hook they soften very quickly after being cast out.
Could they be drilled to stay on longer or would they disintegrate?.....
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a negative comment. Although they soften quickly they still stay on the hook well (until a Canada goose moves in on them :fingertap: )
Your reply wasn't negative, it was my interpretation of your reply, many thanks for the information..... :Thumb:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Loop Erimder wrote:I suppose you could drill them. The ones I used before were bigger but even so they are very easy to put a hook through I tend to use wide gape hooks. You could even add a weight near to the hook so they pop up off the bottom. I'm going fishing tomorrow and will try them popped up too. I'm sure they were £3.19 for a box. Float and cast well

I was considering use them in conjunction with a float controller, cutting a slot in the biscuit and gluing in a hook....

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

You could possibly just put a small cut into it and wedge in the hook glue may not be needed. The experience I've had with them (and even the ones that have dried out and not as soft) the fish have managed to suck the biscuit from the hook and eaten it and the hook ends up in its lip, job done. With it being glued I'd be a little concerned it swallows the hook too
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Loop Erimder wrote:You could possibly just put a small cut into it and wedge in the hook glue may not be needed. The experience I've had with them (and even the ones that have dried out and not as soft) the fish have managed to suck the biscuit from the hook and eaten it and the hook ends up in its lip, job done. With it being glued I'd be a little concerned it swallows the hook too
I see where your coming from, but I've used similar baits, harder and never had a problem with swallowing, as soon as the baits enveloped, the rods in action......

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Been using them for a couple of years - the smaller ones and occasionally the big ones as well.
Always hook them as they are.

However I still don't think anything beats the Pedigree original mixers ( chum mixers) - although they are a bit smaller than they used to be. Soaked correctly they are just as hookable and will last for a couple of weeks after soaking stored in a polybag inside a bait bucket.
I explained in detail on another post on here regarding soaking them - its so much easier than faffing around with glue or bait-bands or drilling them, all of which are unnecessary.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I was just referring just to floaters, so no drilling, I queried drilling, meaning bottom bait,(hair rig :Scared: ). I don't know about unnecessary or faffing around but, I`ve found with cut and glue, you can use the bait dry, no need to soften, the hook is always on the underside of the bait when in the water, and the hook is not obstructed by the bait, as it would be if the bait is side hooked, as they say 99% of the time, finds home

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

These acocunted for 6 carp from the surface of Redmire last time I fished there in the summer. I've caught well on them elsewhere too. Big thanks to Mark for putting me on them.

My results have come from the reddish coloured Beef ones, but this season I'll be trying the Chicken as they are a closer colour resemblance to real mixers.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Going fishing I'll let you know how I get on with them the smaller chicken ones
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Loop Erimder wrote:Going fishing I'll let you know how I get on with them the smaller chicken ones

:Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Had about 20 carp today, a couple on luncheon meat, a couple on bread and the rest on Bakers meaty meals, small chicken flavour, sometimes one on the hook sometimes two :Sun:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”