Dried grapes ?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Robbi
Tench

Dried grapes ?

Post by Robbi »

SWMBO has just got a dehydrator to play with and has had a go at drying grapes. These have come out half done, think really soft and juicey sultana / raisen.

I reckon they would stay on a hook very well, has anyone tried grapes ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Dried grapes ?

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have in liquid form......hic! Very nice! I love you robby hic!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I love you to loop :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

Yes, i did (use raisins, not love Loop :Wink: ). Well, not grapes but raisins/sultanas i have used for carp and Bream.
I used the shop bought ones and soaked them a few hours in condensed milk, worked well, especially for carp.
A friend of mine from France uses raisins for carp and he doesnt bother to soak them, he uses them aside his boilies in PVA bags (no, hes not into "traditional").

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

They have been in use by carp anglers certainly since the early 70's. The Redmire fish were rather partial to them but were kept on the 'secret list' often being referred to as slugs and such like :Chuckle:

They will take on tastes easily during re-hydrating and revert basically back to a flavoured grape.

Raisins are dried white grapes. They are dried to produce a dark, sweet fruit. The grapes used are usually Moscatel.

Sultanas are also dried white grapes but from seedless varieties. They are golden in colour and tend to be plumper, sweeter and juicier than other raisins. Also referred to as Golden Raisins in the U.S.A.

Currants are dried, dark red, seedless grapes. They are dried to produce a black, tiny shrivelled, flavour-packed the grapes were originally cultivated in the south of Greece, and the name currant comes from the ancient city of 'Corinth'. These currants are known as Zante currants in America.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Berry interesting :tea:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I might have to give raisins a try.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Natural sweet product, just be aware they will take on a lot of water if used dry so best fished over gravelly/sandy clean ground. If fished over silt they will suck the silt taste in. To fish them over silt give them a good drink of something first so they don't take on much more. Just easier for the fish to detect them that way. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”