Ants eggs?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Ants eggs?

Post by Kevanf1 »

Has anybody ever tried using ants eggs as bait? Ok, this is going to be for roach, rudd etc. probably... I do recall using ants eggs in a little plastic pot to feed goldfish with when I was a young lad. Never heard them used for fishing with though. I should add that I currently have two ants nests in the garden. The eggs are significantly larger than those I remember but still not quite as large as a standard caster.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: Ants eggs?

Post by Northern Eel »

They work great when mixed with groundbait, they tend to fizz as the groundbait dissolves
Good for tench!

You can buy them from aquatic centres/goldfish/koi suppliers as they are used for goldfish food.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Forgot to mention, they work well when mixed into paste too
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Fried or boiled? :laugh1:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Carp Artist wrote:Fried or boiled? :laugh1:
:fishing2:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Right, I'll see if can start to harvest them. Two of my compost bins have been infested with ant nests. I'm surprised the worms have stood it but there are also millions of them too :) I just need to get to my tackle and I can go fishing then as the tench have well and truly woken up in one of our pools.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Tenching with your Alpha's Kevan?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am not sure if it is still within the law but we used to collect wood Ants eggs, they are much larger than your normal ant egg. Be warned though, tuck your trousers in your socks and get away quick as they don't half bite and they shoot formic? acid at you, sweet smelling, but I think it can overcome you if you inhale too much. Never hung around long enough to find out.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

GazTheAngler wrote:Tenching with your Alpha's Kevan?
Hopefully... I want to give the big float rod a go as I've caught loads of tench on my leger rods. Though, this was on my original rod and about 40 yrs ago now :fish:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”