Hotdog sausages

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Hotdog sausages

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Has anyone any experience of using these as bait? What have you caught on it? I'm thinking of giving it a go for barbel and chub.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Hotdog sausages

Post by Snape »

Yes they are good but no better than luncheon meat.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Macdescruple

Post by Macdescruple »

Try it MD, they certainly work on the Chub round here. They "Woof" them down . (I've had Tench on them too)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Excellent bait but with a few drawbacks. They are very soft which makes them attractive to fish but a bugger to cast. I get around it my leaving them in a bag with a bit of groundbait or similar which draws the moisture from their skins and toughens them a bit and pass the hook through them and put a bit of grass stem under the bend to cushion the force of the cast.

Some brands are very buoyant and may even float, not very useful so find a good brand and stick to it.

I have found that where luncheon meat has been over used they make a great change of bait for barbel and chub but I recently used some on a commercial carp water and didn't get a touch whereas everything else was grabbed in an instant. Go figure.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve had reasonable results with both chub & barbel. I used the mini ones, both on hook and hair. I`ve also fried them lightly to toughen up the skin/surface. I was told yonks' ago, it could have something to do with the higher salt content?....

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Thanks guys. I did wonder if the salt might be something they would like, Merlot. You never really know what they like.

Dave, I don't tend to cast that far on the Dane. Its not very wide where I fish. If I do have trouble with it coming off the hook I'll put it on a middy meat carp - a hair rigged spiral of wire. I use them whenever I ledger with meat. I think they're great and they stop bait coming off on cast.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, like Merlot I found that you could toughen them up a fair bit if you slice them and dry-fry them. You can do the same with a slice of luncheon meat too for that matter. You might always consider a lump on a hair rig too. I have a pal who only fishes this way....never tries anything else...huge lump of meat on a hair. He catches rather a lot of fish actually.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

This is the product I'm talking about.

You screw the meat onto the metal spiral and it's fixed on and will not move. I find a normal hair sometimes cuts through the meat a bit.

After the rig is finished with I keep the spirals and tie my own. That way I can make some for longer hairs for bigger baits.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have found them too soft to use straight on the hook - but put in with ground halibut pellet/groundbait they make a good paste!

I don't like those wire spirals - I always wonder where or if they could or will stick into a fish! Same with the 'bait pins', by Solar now I think.

Some 'paste' hooks have a spiral on the shank which I think is much better.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have never had a problem with the spiral sticking into a fish. They aren't that sharp like hooks. I have caught probably 100 fish on them and the spiral is always hanging out of the mouth.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”