Where can I source wheat?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
RJH

Where can I source wheat?

Post by RJH »

Dying to give wheat a go, but does anyone know where I can get hold of some to get me started? I'd rather not have to buy 25 kilos of the stuff too, if I can help it!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Where can I source wheat?

Post by LuckyLuca »

I got mine from an animal feed stockists. I bought a chicken feed called cracked corn (I think?). It's mainly wheat with some cracked corn/maize.
I think I got it in a 10 kilo sack for about £8.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

It probably works out the cheapest bait one could use......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Health food shop !! For a small amount for a try.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Our local pet store has it. They sell all sorts of stuff, including hemp, loose in bins. Just scoop out and bag as much or as little as you need.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

LuckyLuca wrote:I got mine from an animal feed stockists. I bought a chicken feed called cracked corn (I think?). It's mainly wheat with some cracked corn/maize.
I think I got it in a 10 kilo sack for about £8.
I'll second that. I get 20kg sacks of mixed corn from CC Moores, I think it's six quid odd. The addition of a bit of cracked maize really seems to give it a boost for roach, carp and barbel.
I know it's more than you want but at that price you can supply all your mates - well that's what seems to happen with mine.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Sorry, I forgot to say, yes our local big pet store stocks small bags of wheat, poultry and pigeon. I cook mine in a flask, just ¼ fill the flask with wheat, cover with boiling water, leave a good couple of inches at the top of the flask for expansion, leave roughly for 6 or 7 hours, or overnight,drain it off and its ready for use. I also use the drained liquid/liquor, to add to ground bait......

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Merlot wrote:Sorry, I forgot to say, yes our local big pet store stocks small bags of wheat, poultry and pigeon. I cook mine in a flask, just ¼ fill the flask with wheat, cover with boiling water, leave a good couple of inches at the top of the flask for expansion, leave roughly for 6 or 7 hours, or overnight,drain it off and its ready for use. I also use the drained liquid/liquor, to add to ground bait......
The same system works well with hemp and tares :Thumb:

RJH

Post by RJH »

Thanks all, ill be looking for some cracked corn then. Can you bring it to the boil in a saucepan after soaking too? What species do you guys mostly target with wheat?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

RJH wrote:Thanks all, ill be looking for some cracked corn then. Can you bring it to the boil in a saucepan after soaking too? What species do you guys mostly target with wheat?
Just bring to the boil and simmer until soft. I haven't soaked mine previously. As for species, traditionally a good roach bait. Other similar species will also take it (rudd, dace etc)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”