Mega Slugs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Blueavocet

Mega Slugs

Post by Blueavocet »

Walking back home last evening from my fishing jaunt the path was littered with mega slugs, both black and light brown varieties. Now this is a place where I have often seen big slugs but last night it was thundry and they may have been out in force because of that. It made me wonder whether the local fish scoffed them when they plopped into the water after sliming up the foliage? Personally I'm not a big fan of these molluscs but i have sometimes caught chub on the smaller varieties. The thought of slicing a mega slug for any fish though seems a revolting prospect and they must surely be too big on the hook whole, even for carp!

Does anyone have experience of trialling slugs as a bait in any concerted way? Is there an optimum size if you do use them? I imagine an eel might find them a satisfying mouthful. Finally, how do you hook the slimy so and so's with your eyes closed!! :Hahaha:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Mega Slugs

Post by Vole »

The slug isn't born that a modest chub won't engulf. The only problem will be keeping hold of the rod. Pick them up with a big leaf, nick the hook through the tough skin at the tail. If you can see your chub, cast just behind him; he'll very likely turn in his own length and bag it before you can react.

A matchman called Charles Landells used to breed, dye and flavour the brutes!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Slug slicing - the very thought, Blurgh!

Like Vole said, hook 'em and cast 'em, the bite can come from a chub of six pounds or six ounces, they can all inhale slugs and do so with relish.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

I have considered slugs as a carp bait but have yet to have a go. Has anyone here tried them?
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Its a cracking chub bait, brilliant caster as well and don't worry, I`ve used them for carp, in the margins and near bushes, and the carp made short work of them....

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Vole wrote:A matchman called Charles Landells used to breed, dye and flavour the brutes!

Have a look from 4:20 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVhW9Gq2Ss

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”